Full facelift. Why are the full face lift results so disappointing? I did a full facelift with upper eyelid. (photos)

I am concern was the neck and the upper eyelid. between my browns never had any wrinkles or loose skin. is giving me this big two bumpy lines. I have huge wrinkles on the sides of my eyes. I feel I went to this major surgery and recovery time for nothing. The eyes looks awful, neck awful, full of lines and sagging. I had a cut on my neck behind my ears (low) another one behind my ears itself, another one vertical on my head. . i am disappointed the eyelid looks fat and droopy any hope to fix this

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #BOTOX #tmbcosmeticsurgery

Dear Ap515Thank you for your question and photos! The recovery from surgery can take many months- healing goes on for up to a year and a half!  Please return to your surgeon to review the results and your goals.With warm RegardsTrevor M Born MD

Facelift questions

First of all, I would have a discussion with your PS about your expectations and results.  It is important to thoroughly evaluate a patient and have realistic expectations from any procedure for the patient and the surgeon.  For example, face lifting or a blepharoplasty will not correct the vertical rhytids between the eyebrows.  #facelift, #plasticsurgery

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Full facelift. Why are the full face lift results so disappointing? I did a full facelift with upper eyelid.

Hello Ap515,I am sorry to hear you have not been as happy with your facelift as you had expected.  It is important to realize that a facelift will only address what you see at rest, not with motion.  A lot of the photos you showed are with motion.  As far as the horizontal creases on your neck, those are notoriously difficult to treat and this should have been mentioned to you prior to treatment.  As far as what to do it is best to continue to follow up with your surgeon to express your concerns.  I would also recommend that you wait at least 6 months before considering any revision type surgeries to allow your swelling to go down.I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Disappointed after facelift and upper blepharoplasty

I'm sorry that you are disappointed with your facelift and upper eyes. At 7 weeks you still have more healing to go through, as that takes place over several months, even up to a year. It looks as though there might have been a lack of communication between you and your plastic surgeon with regards to setting proper expectations. Botox is what is needed to treat the frownlines and Crowsfeet. And the creases in your neck skin don't disappear with a facelift, but they are generally improved. From your photos, the neck skin looks like it could potentially benefit from further tightening. Discuss these with your PS. I wish you the best!

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift results

I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with the results of your surgery.  I think there may have been some communication lacking in regards to expectations.  Your upper lids have definitely improved since the upper blepharoplasty, but the things you are complaining about aren't really addressed by that procedure.  The creases between your brows are best treated by Botox.  The creases or crow's feet to the side of your eyes are also best treated by Botox, and if that does not address the issue completely, a brow lift can help in that area.  An upper lid lift will not address these two areas.  Only the skin directly above the lid.  Some versions can correct or weaken the muscles, but these add untoward risks to the procedure.  As far as the next lines, those particular sideways lines, also known as "necklace lines" are not very well treated by a neck lift or facelift.  They are notoriously difficult to treat and require some combination of lasers, fillers, or other tightening devices, all with questionable results.  I would have a long discussion with your plastic surgeon and discussed your disappointment's and potential maneuvers to address these concerns.
Best of luck! Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Expectations

Dear ap515:So sorry to hear of your disappointment! It is always best to review your concerns with your surgeon. We all wish for immediate improvement but the healing process of any surgical procedure takes 3 to 12 months or more to mature and soften to its most optimal result. The scars on your eyelids appear to be healing well. If this is any indication, you would expect other external scars to heal similarly. I see you squinting to show the lines from dynamic expression in the photos. Eyelid surgery will NOT readily fix this unless your surgeon performed other procedures from the eyelid incision. You may wish to consider Botox to improve these actions and wrinkling. It is difficult to assess what procedure was done on the face and neck. You may wish to consider ZO Skin Health to stimulate skin tightening; fillers and Sculptra for neck and face lines as well. If you are still not satisfied, obtain a second opinion consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to review what stage of healing and what you may expect as a end result based on the procedures performed by your first surgeon. I hope this is helpful! I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Unhappy with facelift

I do not know whether your facelift included a browlift.  If a browlift was performed your glabella, between eye, muscles may not have been addressed.  They can be addressed with Botox.  Regarding the wrinkles on the side of your eyes you may experience benefit, again, from botox.  Your neck lines are more difficult to improve but I would suggest that you return to your surgeon with these concerns.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sorry that you are unhappy. You still have a bit of a way to go to fully heal. AS for the neck, the lines I tell patients do not go away. The loose skin can usually be addressed.  Overall the eyes look better, and still may settle a bit more with time. Best of luck. 

Facelift expectations

Thanks for your post, and I'm certainly sorry to hear you are not satisfied. I would definitely talk w/ your surgeon. Facelift surgery was never intended to address the forehead or brows, and I bet you would see a nice improvement in that region with some Botox. Your eyelids will continue to improve as more time passes for the swelling to completely resolve. The view you show of your neck is always the most unflattering view point on any person, so I would not focus on that, but instead on some well-done profile photos. I'd be surprised if you didn't see improvement there too. Hang in there with it, it takes time and patience. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Disappointed after Full Face Lift

Hi,Facelift surgery should always come with pre-operative expectations of the patient and surgeon. If you had conservative surgery, then your results may be reasonable. If you are not satisfied, then you can consider a more aggressive procedure to get better results.Best,Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS