Is fraxel right for my skin? (photos)

These pictures were taken in overhead lighting and camera angle up to give the most detail. I'm considering buying a four session package of fraxel to hopefully get some improvement. I also think subcision would be helpful. I'm looking for advice and recommendations for doctors who have experience with this in the NY/NJ area. Thank you.

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Fraxel Laser for Acne Scars

Fraxel Laser is the gold standard for treating acne scars.  Four to five treatments scheduled one month apart would be the best way to treat these scars.  I would not recommend starting treatment until the Summer is over since you do not want to go in the sun after these treatments.  You might also benefit from some injections such as sculptra to produce collagen in the areas where you have lost volume from the scars.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with acne scars and lasers.

What is fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Is fraxel right for my skin?

Thank you for your question. There are several different laser treatments that can help improve your problem. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for a treatment plan that will work best for you.

Acne Scars – Combination of Treatments Needed

The best treatment for acne scars depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, overall health and most importantly, the type of acne scars present (ice pick scars, boxcar scars, rolling scars, hypertrophic scars and variable degrees of hyperpigmentation). In order to give you an accurate treatment plan, a consultation is required to properly assess your skin.

An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns. 

When it comes to acne scar treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (medical grade skin care products specific for acne including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), advanced laser resurfacing procedures (CO2 laser, Er:YAG laser, Fraxel DUAL®, PicoSure® FOCUS Lens Array), chemical peels (light, medium, deep including the blue peel), dermabrasion, augmentation/fillers, excision and/or subcision, punch techniques, microneedling/rolling, injections (corticosteroids, interferon, 5-FU), cryosurgery, electrodesiccation and microdermabrasion. 

These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist