Is aftercare necessary after a bbl if you live out of state from where the procedure was done?

After a 5 day stay in the state where you have your bbl, should you follow up with a doctor in your hometown? Thank you,

After care

Aftercare is important for any procedure. That is why it is best to have your surgery performed near your home.  

Following Up With Your Surgeon After Surgery Is Important!

Thanks for your question. I do believe that even when you travel in for surgery, you should at least follow up with your plastic surgeon using virtual follow-up visits. We welcome patients who come from a distance into our office all the time for surgery, while give them the opportunity to follow up using images, emails, phone calls, and FaceTime/Skype/etc. I think that just because you travel in for surgery, this does not make follow-up visits any less important—it is essential that your post op questions are properly answered, and that any potential problems that may arise are addressed before they become significant. In regards to your question about following up with a plastic surgeon in your hometown: While this can be done in case of an emergency, it is much better to follow up with the surgeon who performed your procedure because only they will be well aware of the details of your surgery. Furthermore, only your surgeon will truly understand what needs to be done to prevent any problems, optimizing your outcome. Best of luck to you!

BBL

Thank you for your question.It is best to discuss this with your doctor, if after 5 days they have cleared you to return home and advised you to continue follow ups with a doctor in your area then I would proceed with doing that. Most doctors will want to continue with you throughout your post operative period to make sure everything is healing nicely and no complications are arising. You will most likely have to pay for your follow ups with a doctor in your hometown. It is in your best interest to continue follow ups with your plastic surgeon if possible because they are the one that knows your medical history, anatomy and surgery best.
Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative care

LadyDee,
Your question is best answered by your Plastic Surgeon.  If you have no complications or delayed issues, yes, your fine not following up.  The vast majority of patients have varying questions over time during their postoperative course.  Sometimes it is difficult to find a "hometown" doctor to follow up your surgery performed by another physician.  I have never used a drain in over 2100 liposuctions and 200 BBL surgeries so that is not an issue
Best of luck.

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Lol, of course

Dear ladydee622,
Surgery is only part of the whole process in a BBL.  Follow up visits are necessary to confirm that you are healing well and that there are no complications that need to be addressed.  You should expect to pay a fee to see another surgeon that did not perform your surgery.  Good luck!

Recovery

Most doctors will want to see quite frequently for the first couple of weeks after surgery. Especially since after a BBL procedure you will have drains attached for about the first 5-7 days, depending on how much fluid you are still draining. Each surgeon will have a different opinion regarding their patients or what they would recommend doing. It would be best to check with them to see what your best option in this case would be. Typically, they would probably want you to extend your stay a little longer if possible.

Jaime Perez, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon