Do I have tuberous breasts? (photos)

During puberty I noticed that my breasts hardly grew and never became round. I always thought they were going to grow and develop more but they never did. I came across the term tuberous breasts and it almost seems like this could be the reasoning. Would you considered my breasts to be tuberous? I'm 5ft, 150 pounds and I wear an extremely padded 34A. I'm 18 years old and have wanted breast implants ever since I hit puberty. Would breast implants improve my look alone or would I need a lift?

Tuberous breasts

Hi and thanks for your question.  From your photos it appears that you may have some characteristics of tuberous breasts.  Oftentimes, placing breast implants and simultaneously releasing the constricted tissues underneath the skin will make tuberous breasts appear more normal.  It's best to be evaluated in person by a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to determine how best to get you the result you want.  Good luck!

Tubular Breasts

The photo does suggest that you have characteristics of a tuberous breast. Your breast fold is high and their constriction around your areolar/nipple complex. You seem to be a good candidate for surgery. You are a candidate for breast augmentation with areolar reduction.  Consult in person with three experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts.  There are lots of variations of tuberous breasts.

Some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper breast implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern,  you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.  Exactly what operation would help you will depend on a full communication of your goals. Based on  your question and pictures provided,  a breast augmentation plus/minus areolar skin/tissue  reduction  will serve to significantly improve the shape/contour of your breasts.    

You may find the attached link (dedicated to breast surgery for tuberous/constricted breasts) helpful.

Tuberous breasts

While a better assessment would be obtained by an in-person examination, your photos suggest that you do have elements of a tuberous breast. This is because there seems to be constriction around your areola/nipple complex, and your breast fold is high. Breast implants could help, but you would also need to release the constricted tissue to achieve a rounder breast shape. A lift may be performed at the same time, but it may not be necessary (it's hard to say from your photos).

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Yes, it does appear as though you have tuberous breasts. This is something that can certainly be corrected during a breast augmentation as long as your surgeon recognizes it and releases the constricted areas appropriately. I can't be certain without examining you, but it does not appear as though you would need a lift as well. Meet with a few board-certified plastic surgeons in your area until you feel comfortable that one can do the job that you want. Best of Luck!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Do i have tuberous breasts

No you don't.  You have a high crease of your breast, and a short distance from the areola to the crease.
This is a very common situation.
You are a good candidate for an augmentation without a lift, but you have to be careful.  The surgeon needs to place the implant under the muscle in the upper pole of the breast, not violate your current crease, and allow the implant to expand your lower breast tissue and skin over time.  A variety of what is called a 'dual plane' augmentation.  One of the challenges is getting the incision to be in the correct place in it is placed under the breast - but a good surgeon can do this.
You are only 18, and your breasts may continue to enlarge, so surgery at this time may be premature.

Brian Peterson, MD
Kelowna Plastic Surgeon

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Fortunately you do not have tuberous breasts. based on your photo you do not appear to need a breast lift.

There is a slight constriction of your breast more so on the right breast. Breast implants placed under the breast (not under the muscle) should give you a nice result.

Be sure to consult an experienced breast plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. The online Smart Beauty Guide is a good place to start.

Breast implants

I would suggest that based on these photographs you would not need a lift.  Breast augmentation alone should give you a nice outcome.

Tuberous?

While you might have some elements of tuberous breasts, it probably will not impact your results to any significant degree. Best to be seen in person to properly assess you.

Breast augmentation usually helps constricted tuberous breasts

You have a constricted lower pole of your breast, small breast size and tuberous areolas. Release of the inferior pole, areolas, possible elevation of the areola position and breast augmentation could help enhance your breast shape. Having an evaluation by a qualified plastic surgeon is worth the expenditure.

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon