Do I have tuberous breast, If so I do what exact way to fix them Would be best? (photos)

Hi I have almost no under boob the breast tissue forms a cone shape and looks like a triangular shape rather that a round shape beside the fact they are small. I'm curious as to if I have tubular breast and what is the exact best method to make them look perfectly round without a puffy large aereola. During teen years I was convinced is out grow the shape and fill in. I never did. Please give me your best adviceb fore deciding on surgery. Thank you!! All advice appreciated!!

Tuberous breasts can be treated with breast augmentation

There is not much to be gained by labeling someone with tuberous breasts. An operative plan should be developed based on your anatomy. Whether that is breast implantation, lift or reduction, symmetrization or some combination of procedures, there is no particular point in stigmatizing your breast shape. A properly trained, skilled and ethical plastic surgeon can develop a plan based on your anatomy and give you the outcome that you desire. I see absolutely no point in diagnosing someone with tuberous breasts or restricted base deformity. Stigmatizing a young person can have an effect on the way they perceive the outcome, even if it is outstanding.

You do not have

You have small breasts. They are not tuberous. Present shape of your breasts will impact their final appearance after their augmentation. Implants will make your breasts larger. However your existing conical shape will also impact final shape. You will have to accept compromise because of your starting breast handicap.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tuberous Breast

A tuberous breast requires an augmentation, radial scoring, fold lowering and possible areolar modification. 

The right size for you

Any women desiring breast augmentation surgery is a candidate as long as there are no health problems present which would preclude her from having surgery. If the desired goal is to enhance or restore size and shape or to improve asymmetry, breast augmentation is a viable option. Breast augmentation can improve a body image, self-esteem, self-concept, and quality of life.
Ideal Candidates for Breast Augmentation
  • Desire larger, shapelier breasts.
  • Moderate degree of breast sag and smaller breasts, whose problem can be solved by enlargement.
  • One breast that is noticeably smaller or is positioned differently than the other (asymmetry).
  • Uneven chest wall or rib cage.
  • Women requiring breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.
  • Restore breast volume or shape following pregnancy, breast feeding and/or weight loss.

Tuberous breasts

I am sorry that your breast development did not progress as usual.  I would say that you do have a form of tuberous breasts.  Fortunately, breast augmentation can help you.  I find that this is one of the best times to place the breast implants behind your breast tissue and on top of the muscle.  Measurements made by your plastic surgeon will help determine the best implant size and dimensions for your chest wall.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for your consultation and surgery.  I believe that you will be glad that you did.  Good luck.

John M. Weeter, MD

Tuberous breasts

I believe that the best way to fix this is to do a circumareolar mastopexy which has the effect of flattening a pointy shaped breast and can elevate the nipple to a slightly higher position. I would use a smooth silicone gel implant in the dual plane but to large as to create a double bubble and give some room to do the lift. I recommend that you seek out the opinion of a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area with experience in aesthetic breast surgery. Good luck. Y

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breasts

Yes, you do have a form of tuberous breasts. Although it is difficult to tell without seeing you in person, an incision around the areola of the nipple (peri-areolar) might not be large enough to allow placement of a silicone implant, which is what I would recommend. If that is the case, I would recommend breast augmentation with release of the constricting fibers of the lower portion of the breast using an incision in the natural breast fold (infra-mammary). The "puffiness" of the nipples, which is due to bulging of the breast tissue underneath, can be corrected either at the same time or at a later stage as an office procedure under local anesthesia. I do not think that in your case a breast lift is necessary.

Joseph Fata, MD

Tubular breast

From your photo it appears you do have tubular breast.With tubular breast you would require an incision around the areola to flatten down the herniated tissue causing the pointed apperance. You would also need and augmentation and release of the tight tissue that is flattening out the bottom portion of your breast and under the areolar.Somtimes you may need a second surgery to place a larger implant to get your desire result.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry to hear of your frustration but a breast augmentation performed correctly with radial scoring, release of the constriction at the inframammary fold, and circumareolar mastopexy will give you the result you are looking for.  This procedure will provide a round, full breast without the "puffy" nipple appearance.  Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons for a complete evaluation.  Best wishes!

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

From your photos, you do appear to have characteristics of tuberous breasts.

Constricted or tubular breasts tend to be too narrow with a breast crease that is too high. Tight ring-like bands of tissue around the areolae and nipples may create the appearance of protruding or puffy areolae. A higher than normal breast crease may make your nipples appear to be too low or down pointing. Constricted breast features can be very mild or severe. In fact, mild variations are relatively common. To summarize, the features can include:
  • Inframammary fold (breast crease) too high
  • Inframammary fold misshapen
  • Breasts too narrow (disproportionately narrow base width)
  • Insufficient breast skin
  • Constricted or tubular shape, resulting from tight bands of tissue within breasts
  • Protruding or bulging appearance of areolae (pigmented area around nipples)
Improvement is possible and generally includes a breast augmentation, sometimes combined with a lift (mastopexy). The lift is usually limited to an incision around the areolae. During the procedure, I release the tight, constricting bands from the inside, allowing the skin to expand properly. I also lower the inframammary fold to a more ideal position and improve its shape. Breast implants help create the right amount of volume and improve breast contours, resulting in a more rounded or tear drop shape.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz