Do people ever get small implants if they are already a C?

I see a lot of women on here who have small A or a small b cup but so many patients get implants when they are a Small C just to go to a solid D? My breasts are about a C but I don't want them to be huge. I weigh about 135 and I am 5ft 6. I have sagging from breastfeeding three kids so I am getting a lift as well. I did the rice test and I like the look of a cup of rice. I guess I'm asking if this is common or if most people go bigger.

Make the Most Out of Your Procedure!

Getting a breast augmentation is all about you, your body, and your goals. If you want smaller implants, go for it. Since you’re already getting a breast lift, your surgeon can put small implants in to help achieve your desired look. I’ve seen plenty of people who are just looking for a small increase, so I’d say this is common!

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

Picking the right size implant is a decision that's made between patient and surgeon. Some people need bigger implants to reach their goals, others don't. The breast tissue itself dictates what size implant may or may not be appropriate. If you are looking for a lift and augmentation, sometimes implants alone are all you need, but the implant needs to be large enough to lift the breast, bringing up the nipple. See a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck!

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Implant volume

Choosing the right implant for you would require an exam in person. It is best to be evaluated in person to do this. Good luck.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Without seeing photos it is difficult to determine exactly what to say except that it appears you are asking good questions. If you are a drooping a mastopexy is absolutely going to help you. A mastopexy or breast lift will reposition the breast on your chest to a more youthful position. It will not in any way change the volume of your breast or cup size. Patients often have implants placed at the same time which will necessarily increase your cup size. It is also not uncommon to have a small implant placed which will help to improve fullness without creating an unproportional look. For patients who desire a smaller volume, the concept of fat transfer from one part of the body to the breast is also an option. This would negate the need for an implant which will at some point in your life, have to be removed and or replaced. Fat, once placed, has the potential to last a lifetime and it's natural soft, and can be placed throughout the breasts in ways that an implant can just not match. In any case, I would recommend a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these matters. I would encourage you to visit the attached video on fat transfer and also the mini videos on my website that go into further detail regarding these Concepts. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very common to have this done with a lift in breasts your size.  If good technique is used, this can have a nice result.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question.  Yes many people simply want to increase breast volume and look natural did not look too large in these patients often choose implants in the 150-250 cc range.  Please consult at least 2 board-certified plastic surgeons for an examination and opinion.  Ask if that surgeon has implant sizers available.  He also can do the Rice test which is described in the link below:

Yes, there are patients who start of with a "C cup" (or who have a significant amount of native breast tissue) who choose to have modest breast implants utilized.  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "solid D cup” to "look huge" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.