I'm due to have 375 silicone implants, but I'm concerned that my breasts are too close together. Is 375 the right size? (Photo)

I am 52, 5'8, 150 lbs, between 36b/c with pectus excavatum and I am scheduled to have BA with 375 silicone implants in 2 weeks. I am concerned about my breasts being too close together. The doctor said I should not consider an implant smaller than 375 due to having a significant amount of breast mass already. I am looking to have fullness and one cup size larger. I am nervous about not having a good outcome. Based on my pictures will my breasts be closer with the implant size chosen? Is this implant size a good choice for my medium sized frame? Thank you for your advise.

Are Your Breasts To Close Together?

Thank you for your question! This is an important question for your doctor. Discuss with him all of your concerns!  Best of luck!Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic Surgeon ChicagoHoffman Estates Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Right size implant

These are important questions but ones that are decided between you and your plastic surgeon.
Your breasts are close together because the pectus excavatum allows them to move inward.
The implants will add volume that may increase cleavage but -
Keeping the pocket centered on the chest and away from the sternum will avoid the implants from touching.
The right volume is hard to say - you are tall and already have considerable breast volume.
A 375 may be fine to make a significant difference - but try on sizers in the low 300 range to see if they look better for you. 

Cleavage

Thank you for your photos and question.  First let me say that 375 cc implants will likely increase you significantly more than one cup size.  And yes, since your breasts are quite close together preoperatively, they will only be closer post-operatively.  These are definitely good questions to address with your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Breast augmentation and pectus excavator

Thank you for your question. Ideally, these questions are best communicated with your plastic surgeon and Vectra 3-D imaging and simulation. Overall, more important than the size of your breasts is how the procedure is performed and how the pocket is dissected. This can change the shape of your breasts, 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Too close together

Pectus excavatum points the breast slightly inward narrowing the distance between them.  While a breast augmentation may help obscure the Pectus it rarely opens the distance between the nipples.

Communicate your concerns to your plastic surgeon.  Let him or her then decide the best surgical solutionto to live up to your expectations.

I'm due to have 375 silicone implants, but I'm concerned that my breasts are too close together. Is 375 the right size?

Understand over the internet we can ONLY give guesses. I think you have very close cleavage so increasing the volume will give an appearance of closeness even more. Best to seek only in person opinions. 

Are 375cc implants right for me?

Hi. Your breasts are already together - this will not change after surgery (there is no way of making a gap between them) - most people are happy with this! I agree that 375 cc implants is a suitable size for you, giving your upper pole fullness.

Try to find someone with a Vectra 3D imaging machine in your area to simulate your breast augmenation result (see the link below) - in a recent article (Oct 2013) of Plastic& Reconstructive Surgery Journal (Plast. Reconstr. Surg.132: 810, 2013.), the main Plastic Surgery Journal worldwide, the 3D imaging VECTRA machine was found to be beneficial for patients considering breast augmentation surgery.

The article concluded that patients prefer a center that offers three-dimensional imaging technology; they feel that the simulation is very accurate and helps them greatly in choosing the implant; and that if they could go back in time, they would choose the same implant again.

All the best with your decision. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. We have found the following helpful in counseling our patients: 1) a determination of their breast dimensions in terms of what implant would anatomically fit best, 2) a sizing session with implant sizers and 3 D imaging to give the patient and idea of what they should look like and 3) a review of Before and After pictures of similar patients to see their actual results.

Touching breasts

you do have a tough situation. as I tell my patients" what you give me is what you get only bigger". to my eye your breasts touch already, so I believe they will touch after. I think 375 cc will increase you more than 1 size. I am not saying that it is not an appropriate size implant.  talk to your surgeon. make sure you are both communicating about what you want to look like

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you discuss this further with your plastic surgeon who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss each of your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon