I am considering having a full face lift, bleph and neck lift in mid April - I am getting married end of July.

Do you think I will have enough recovery time or will I get stared at for the wrong reasons - ie, swelling, scars, bruises?

Face/Neck Lift , Bleph Mid-April, Wedding End of July?

My usual recommendation is to give yourself at least 3 months after a facelift before attending any major family or personal events. At 2.5 months the early bruising, swelling, visible incisions will be resolved, but you may still have a small amount or residual swelling and the tissues will likely still feel a little stiff or tight and feeling will probably not have fully returned to normal. So you shouldn't have any obvious post surgical issues but you won't look/feel completely 100% back to normal. And then there are annoying things like malar bags which show up after surgery and not always evident beforehand. There are no consistently effective ways to make them disappear, and they may take 6 months or longer to resolve. They can be very evident in photos. You will probably be OK, but if you want to be absolutely positively sure that you are looking your best you should wait 6 months.  

Facelift: Appropriate timing before a wedding

Provided there are no health concerns that may increase your healing time, I think this timeline sounds perfectly reasonable. Ideally, 3 months before a big event is pretty much the standard for my practice; however, I find that many of my patients feel comfortable with a 4-6 week time frame. I had a patient not too long ago who had a necklift and lower face lift 4 weeks before her daughter’s wedding. No one could tell she had surgery. Everyone just kept commenting on how great she looked. It is important to understand that every patient heals at their own pace, and that there are no definitive rules to healing. Even at 3 months, incisions can still be pink, but easily covered with make-up. I always go through before and after pictures as well as recovery pictures to give my patients a reasonable sense of how things will most likely look. Make sure to discuss this with your surgeon, though. You will want to make sure they feel confident with this timeline as well. 

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 Months Is Standard Recommendation

As a standard recommendation, we suggest giving yourself 3 months between surgery and any sort of major social event. Everyone heals at different rates, but 3 months is a good standard to ensure your incisions will have faded significantly and most, if not all, bruising and swelling will be completely resolved. Any residual effects can be easily covered with makeup. Best of luck with your surgery, and enjoy your wedding day!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Timeline for facelift in advance of wedding

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  There are many patients that appear optimally glowing and without any noticeable swelling at even 4 -6 weeks after a facelift.  The bruising has almost always disappeared by that point also.  The scars will still be pink, but easily covered by your make-up artist and hair stylist.  However, for any important social event, especially as a bride, you will want to be at least 2 months and most probably 3 months out from your procedures to give yourself enough cushion in case you do have some lingering swelling.  Best wishes for a beautiful result and a lovely wedding!

I am considering having a full face lift, bleph and neck lift in mid April - I am getting married end of July

Generally, 3 months recovery is recommended to allow for healing prior to any major event. Having said that, sometimes longer especially if it is your wedding, and hoping that this is your 1 and only wedding, we would not want to have any delays in healing that would delay your wedding date.

3 months is a comfortable margin of time between a #facelift, #eyelift and your wedding

It is likely safe to proceed as 3-month is usually ample for recovery, for the swelling and bruising to disappear.

Scars will still be pinker but any good make-up artist can camouflage those easily.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

Marc DuPere, MD

Normally, we advise patients that 3 months is sufficient to wait after facial surgery. You are "cutting it" close, but should be fine. If you could have your surgery a few weeks earlier, it would give you less cause for concern. Discuss this with your surgeon. Good luck and congratulations.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift 3 1/2 months before your wedding?

On average most facelift patients are quite presentable 3 to 4 months after their surgery. As long as there is no unexpected complication you should be fine in my opinion though not necessarily completely healed. For patients who are in a hurry to resolve swelling I recommend early use of a Medrol dosepak and with every surgery use fibrin glue to reduce bruising and swelling postoperatively. You have to decide whether it's a procedure worth undertaking when you do have the stress of an upcoming wedding. Good luck with your decision and best wishes for happiness.  The video above should provide you more information.  Enjoy!

Jon A Perlman M.D. FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Facelift april and weddng in july

You can probably do this, but to be honest it is cutting it very close. I advise my patients that are having a facelift and a large event to ideally do this 4 months before.Again, you can probably do this, but you are taking some risk.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Provided you're a good candidate for the procedures you have outlined- and without complications-in the right hands-- you should be looking good in July. Good luck!