Juvederm lips not lasted a week. Why? (Photo)

I had 0.5 in my lips altogether. Mostly in my top. By the 3rd day they had shrunk a lot and now 5 days later they don't look any different prior to having it done. Why?

Juvederm Result

0.5 mL is about half the average amount I would inject in the lips, especially if spread between the upper and lower.  If you liked the immediate effect from the Juvederm, you will probably want to have more added soon, or  have a greater volume injected in the future.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm lips not lasted a week. Why?

Hello, and thank you very much for your question. A significant amount of swelling is generally present in the days immediately following treatment. When the swelling subsides, it appears as if the effect of the filler disappeared. You may be a candidate for a touch-up. I would recommend following up with your provider, as he/she knows the details of your treatment and will be able to make an assessment for you. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Juvederm Lip Injections

0.5cc is a very small amount its likely that you need much more to get optimal correction.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Why are your lips not as plump as immediately after the injection of Juvederm?

Thank you for asking the question. For a couple of days following the injection of dermal fillers into the lips, the lips become extra swollen. Most patients forget what their natural lips look like at that point. When the swelling resolves, the lips reduce in size (but still bigger than prior to injections.) If you liked the appearance when you were swollen, have your doctor inject a bit more. I hope this helps.
Good luck,

Juvederm for lips

Thank you so much for your question! Some of the effect that you saw immediately after your injection was likely swelling that has subsided. I will oftentimes tell my patients wait 1 to 2 weeks before they judge the full results. If at that point they feel that they need more filler placed in their lips, I will have them return to my office and accommodate their request. Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

The lips are underfilled with Juvederm

Thank you for your post.

You should return for more product as it is under filled. 

Best
Dr H Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Juvederm and the Lips NYC

When you only have 0.5 of filler it is not enough for full correction of the lips.  I would definitely return to your treating physician for more product.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm lips not lasted a week.

There will be swelling and a more demarcated look to the filler soon after the injection. The swelling will subside and the product will draw in water from the surrounding tissue to soften the look and maintain volume. I hope your first picture is not your goal, as the second looks much more attractive and natural! If you want more volume consider adding more product in a few more weeks, but I personally prefer a less obvious look when it comes to lips. Overfilling looks cheap to me, and I find it hard to look at and very distracting. Maybe it is just me, but sometimes less is more.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon