I'm in my 4th week post op and I have some swelling; I want to take a hot shower and I'm afraid that it may make swelling worse?

4th week post op

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your gynecomastia surgery.  Heat can cause some swelling in your chest but this is temporary and will resolve quickly in comparison to the swelling that developed from surgery.  Once out of the shower you can minimize the swelling by being sure to put your compression garment back on.  Hope this helps.

Take the shower

Yes, please take the hot shower. The warmth will help you by opening up your collateral circulation which in turn will reduce your swelling. 

DrBurnett#realself100

I appreciate your question. Your swelling will subside the next few weeks. A hot shower might temporarily cause some swelling but shouldn't affect your overall healing. Best of luck.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Swelling 4 Weeks Post Op

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling after surgery and a hot shower

Swelling after surgery is common and can last up to 6 months.  Taking a hot shower may cause a little swelling but it is only temporary and will not affect your final result. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia surgery

Heat, salt intake, and exertion can cause an increase in swelling. Best of luck with your results...