Are plastic surgeons specialized by type of procedures?

I am planning a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift, but have been advised that each PS is specialized in a specific procedure that he/ she masters and not necessarily all procedures? so one might be specialized in Facelift but not Breast lift, etc. so if I need to do those two procedures I will have to go to two plastic surgeons. So in my case, should I just look for a Plastic Surgeon who is specialized in Mommy Makeover? Please help

It is Best to Work with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery such as those involving #multiple procedures and those included with a Mommy Makeover.. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Board certified

Most plastic surgeons who are board certified are skilled in all procedures. My best advice would be to find the board certified plastic surgeons in your area on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website, check out each one's website and call the ones whose Mommy Makeover work you like best for a consultation.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question and most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons are skilled in a Mommy Makeover so see some experts in your area and find the surgeon who will do both of your operations.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Plastic Surgeon Specialization

You are correct, that most plastic surgeons have "specialties", or at least some procedures that they prefer doing over others.  Tummy tuck and breast lift are pretty common procedures that just about any plastic surgeon should know how to do, and can be done combined.  If you have friends that have had the procedure, I recommend asking them about their surgeon and their experience, look through websites of doctors in your area, and schedule a few consultations.  Make sure to ask specifically about mommy makeover experience, and look at their before/after photos.  Best of luck!

Mommy makeover surgery

Most plastic surgeons who perform aesthetic plastic surgery (cosmetic) combine breast lifts and tummy tucks- these are two very common procedures. Some plastic surgeons don't do a lot of facial procedures and some do lots, for example. I recommend looking at your plastic surgeon's website and see if there are lots of photos and reviews for mommy makeovers. This will give you a good idea of how often he or she is doing those procedures. Ask your surgeon as well how many mommy makeovers he or she does in a typical month or year.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

In choosing a plastic surgeon for a mommy makeover, experience is critical.

Yes, surgeons tend to be better at operations that they do regularly. Some plastic surgeons do not recommend that their patients undergo a tummy tuck and breast lift at the same time, even though they do both procedures individually. Others, like myself, frequently do them in combination (called a mommy makeover). However, safety considerations are most important. Plastic surgeons doing mommy makeovers need to know how to do them together safely, without excessive surgery time or blood loss. They need to be very proficient in both procedures individually before doing them together. So, yes, go to a plastic surgeon who is very experienced in mommy makeovers, or have them done individually. I have included a link to my website in case you wish to read more on this topic.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery credentials

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and breast lift.

• You definitely do no need two plastic surgeons for a tummy tuck and breast lift.
  • You need one plastic surgeon who specializes on cosmetic surgery.
  • Plastic surgeons take great pride in our principle-based surgical training which equips us to deal with many different types of procedures - it also provides more cosmetic surgery training than any other field.
  • So find a plastic surgeon whose practice is limited largely or entirely to cosmetic surgery - and if you have a good rapport and s/he is well qualified - look no further.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Different plastic surgeons may have special interest in various types of operations.

There are no professional credential offerings for different areas of plastic surgery in the specialty. However, surgeons may have areas of interest. It will be important to choose a surgeon who operates frequently in the areas you have interesting. However, you'll find almost no plastic surgeons who limit the scope of their practice to mommy makeover alone.

Plastic Surgery Specialization

In general most plastic surgeons are trained to perform the full spectrum of cosmetic procedures.  A Mommy Makeover is the combination of several frequently performed cosmetic procedures.  Usually this includes a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), breast lift (mastopexy) with or without implants, and some liposuction, if needed. If all done together, at the same time, you get a Mommy Makeover. 
Some surgeons do eventually take a special interest in certain procedures, thereby doing more of one thing than another.  However, in my opinion, most plastic surgeons have a good deal of experience with all of the above procedures and ,therefore, with Mommy Makeovers. 
What is important is that you find a board certified plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable.  In addition to this website you can find plastic surgeons in your area on the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) or ASAPS (American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) websites.

There is no formal subspecialization in the various cosmetic procedures that plastic surgeons perform.  That said, some plastic surgeons may concentrate more in face or body cosmetic procedures, but most routinely perform procedures of both the body and head.  You do not need to go to two different surgeons to have a tummy tuck and breast lift. Further, in most cases, both procedures can be performed at the same time.  You are correct that a plastic surgeon who routinely performs mommy makeover procedures should be qualified to perform your surgery.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon