My doctor advised me to try Radiesse after Voluma. Is this safe?

Radiesse versus Voluma

Both Radiesse and Voluma are excellent products.  Voluma has the advantage of being able to be "melted" if you want.  Radiesse has the advantage of coming with 50% more product in each syringe.  Both products are excellent at volumizing and lifting the face while giving natural appearing results.  

Using Radiesse on top of Voluma is safe, but you need to clarify with your doctor why different fillers were used

Thank you for your question. You’re asking about the safety of using Radiesse after receiving Voluma to presumably enhance the appearance of your cheeks. I can certainly help you with this concern as I routinely use fillers in my practice.

To give you a little about my background — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. My experience with fillers extends all the way back to the introduction of the first filler, which were made up of collagen called Zyderm and Zyplast. Nowadays, there are so much more options for filling different areas of volume loss, and the key thing here is to understand the concept of fillers and their role in restoring structure in the mid-face region.

In the absence of any photos and a physical examination, it is of course more difficult for me to give a more concrete diagnosis or conclusion. I would suspect, however, that it is possible that you are losing volume as part of the normal facial aging process, and that you want to enhance volume in a particular area that you want to augment and accentuate. In terms of safety, I don’t think you need to second-guess your doctor’s judgment too much, as I don’t think your doctor will consider doing Radiesse on top of Voluma if they felt that it would not be safe. What is important is to avoid the risk of infection, inflammation, as well as issues with irregularities and unevenness.

Now, Voluma was a milestone in the development of fillers. Allergen obtained FDA approval for Voluma, which is important because this was highly viscous hyaluronic acid filler that was approved for use in the mid-face. However, over the years of doing mid-face lifting and soft tissue augmentation, I observed that the cheek pad or the malar fat pad where the material is placed possesses some anatomical limitations.

When you place a certain amount of volume in the soft tissue of the cheek, you are basically relying on the tone of the skin, as well as the ability of the underlying structure, to maintain the position of the volume that’s being placed. It is possible that what you may view as an under correction may be due to the material diffusing or the skin itself sagging. Often, doctors will try to overcompensate for the sagging by pumping the area with filler, which is why you’ll sometimes see people walking around with giant, pillowy-looking cheeks.

When a patient wants something more permanent than fillers, cheek implants can also be wonderful solutions for filling out this area. But in today’s fast-paced world, I find that using fillers is more beneficial because it allows me to sculpt the material much more accurately and in a way that I simply can’t do with cheek implants.

In terms of adding Radiesse, your doctor may possibly just want to add a little bit more material that is more viscous. Radiesse is a different type of filler that is certainly thicker and of a higher density, as it is a suspension of fine particles of calcium hydroxyapatite.

That said, what we do in our practice is a method called structural volumizing. With this method, rather than placing the material in the soft tissue of the cheeks, we place it much deeper — underneath the muscle and near the bone structure, so that we have a more solid foundation to build up the structure of the cheek. We’ll usually use several syringes of hyaluronic acid filler such as Voluma or Juvederm Ultra Plus and place it in the deeper structural levels of the cheek. The material does not slide out of position or dissipate, so we are able to achieve a nice accentuation of the cheek.

Structural volumizing is another strategy you can consider in the future, but at this point, I think it’s important that you meet with your doctor and discuss the type of strategy they are offering you. Ask for an explanation as to why they want to use Radiesse on top of Voluma, and not just more Voluma instead. Is it because you are metabolizing it? Or is it because it’s not reaching the level of correction needed? Clarity and communication is extremely important between patient and doctor.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Radiesse after Voluma

Thank you for your question. Yes, it is safe to get Radiesse after Voluma. They are both great fillers that offer slightly different advantages. Radiesse is an injectable gel that is made of calcium hydroxyapatite, which is a normal constituent of bone. It is used to plump the skin in areas that are sunken, wrinkled, or have developed lines (on your face or hands). Radiesse results last one to two years. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler specifically made to restore age-related volume loss to the mid-face (cheeks, cheekbones, and around the chin). Voluma lasts up to 18 months.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Layering Dermal Fillers

Hi dina yousef, Radiesse after Voluma is completely safe. Both are great fillers that we use together in our office and achieve great results! Best to you!

Combining fillers

I often combine filler options to give maximal results.  I usually combine Voluma with juvederm ultra plus but occasionally will combine with radiesse.  Stay skintastic. 

Sandra M. Johnson, MD
Fort Smith Dermatologist

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

I often use Radiesse and voluma on the same day, we call this layering. I suggest you see an expert and trust their approach.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Radiesse after voluma

Generally there is no contraindication to injecting radiesse in the same face or even the same area as a hyaluronic acid like voluma.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Radiesse after Voluma

Radiesse and Voluma are different chemical compounds. They typically produce the same outcome and can be used in compliment to one another.  Everyone has a different preference so I would inquire the doctor is recommending a change.

Radiesse and Voluma

Both Radiesse and Voluma are excellent and safe fillers. However, they both perform the same function and are somewhat interchangeable. There is no reason, medical or cosmetic, therefore, to try one after the other. If your doctor thinks there is, I would consult someone else who is an expert injector and experienced in using deep volumizing fillers. (See ExpertInjector.org)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fillers

Both Radiesse and Voluma are safe and good fillers.
The most important variable is the injector.
I would recommend that a plastic surgeon or expert dermatologist do the injection in person and not the member of the office staff, nurse, PA etc