I want to know if my under eye puffiness is genetic or can be cured?

how can i know that? i hope its not genetic :) and if it is genetic, how can it be cured?

Eye Puffiness Genetic Or Not

Serious Dante  Thank you for your question.  While a photograph would be helpful, an in person consultation would be best to determine your best course of action.  Under eye puffiness is related to the fat that surrounds the eye.  Fat loves water and this can make the lower lids look more puffy at times.  Regardless if the puffiness is genetic , environmental or occurs all on its own , there will be  a procedure that can help improve it for you.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bags are primarily caused by genetics, but they can be cured without any visible sign or surgery, or camouflaged if slight

Thank you for the question. You want to know if your under eye bags are genetic, and if they can be cured. I understand your question, but without a photo I can only surmise you are dealing with a family trait you recognize as genetic and you want to know if something can be done about it.
I can certainly give you some information. I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. As an oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, I first trained in eye surgery before undergoing additional training in cosmetic surgery. I have background in eye surgery, and specialty cosmetic surgery of the eyes is an area of practice focus. Operating on under eye bags is one of the most common things I have performed for over 20 years.
The under eye bags you are most likely seeing is called lower eyelid fat prolapse, which means the fat pockets around the eyes pushed forward to create these bulges This characteristic is common, particularly in families as a genetic trait - within the same family, I’ve actually helped people in 3 generations. In a situation like yours, if you are asking can it be cured, yes it can, and there are a few different solutions to help you.
If you have very minimal under eye bags with only a small amount of fat  pushed forward, then it is possible to soften and camouflage their appearance non-surgically with an injectable filler such as Restylane. In addition, we often find a relative hollow adjacent to the bag, discoloration of the skin, and a very thin quality of skin. For this we use platelet-rich plasma (PRP) derived from your own blood to stimulate collagen and improve skin quality.
I think what is more common is when people have more significant puffiness under their eyes, which is like a hernia where the fat has pushed forward and the only procedure that really works is a surgical procedure. In our practice, we have developed a process so that even though it is a surgical procedure, we try to make the experience as minimally invasive as possible for the patient. What I typically perform, especially for people with decent skin and who want to retain the shape of their eyes, is a procedure called a transconjunctival blepharoplasty. This means I address the fat pockets responsible for this bulge of fat from behind the eyelid so there is no outside scar, and the shape of the eyes are retained and remain natural. Anyone who sees you will never know you had under eye surgery. We do this procedure in our office operating facilities, so it’s like you are coming in for an injectable filler, but we just bring you to a different room. We do everything under local anesthesia with a little LITE™ sedation. This means that you are relaxed, and you are not 100% aware of the process, but you are able to cooperate if necessary which is called conscious sedation. You avoid general anesthesia, and you are able to leave, go home and recover. Most people go back to work in less than a week. If you are concerned about the potential fears related to surgery, you are at least aware this option exists.
I recommend you meet with qualified, experienced doctors who perform a lot of under eye bags surgery. Learn about your options. Again, in the absence of a photo I can’t make specific recommendations, but understanding your trait or the appearance of bags under your eyes is probably genetic, and can be addressed so you don’t continue to have them. In fact, for 20 years in practice, some of the happiest patients are people who no longer have under eye bags. To me, it’s like facelifts - it makes the whole face open up and make such an impression when you don’t have these bags under your eyes. People always think you are tired, you are lacking energy or you are older than your age because of these bags. So learn about these options and find a doctor you are comfortable with, then move forward. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question!

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

It depends on what the puffiness is due to...

If the puffiness is due to excess fat protrusion, then it can certainly be improved, even if it is a family trait. This happens sometimes in younger patients. It is important to see an eyelid surgery specialist for evaluation because he/she will be able to give an honest opinion as to what can be done.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. A Blepharoplasty (or eyelid surgery) procedure can address the puffiness below your lid by removing any fatty tissue build-up that has taken place. It would be helpful if you were to provide pictures so that we can provide you a more detailed diagnosis. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

You need a diagnosis.

That means that an eyelid surgeon must examine your eyelids and determine the basis for your puffy eye.  A photograph would be invaluable but it is no substitute for an actual examination.  Some issues are amenable to lower eyelid surgery.  Some issues benefit from fillers or other measures.

Lower eyelids

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many reasons for lower eyelid puffiness.  If this is due to fat herniation, then this can be dramatically improved with a lower eyelid blepharoplasty in the appropriate patient.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Can Undereye Puffiness be Cured

Hi and thanks for your question.  Whatever the cause-genetic or just aging of the skin, muscle and fat around your eyes, it can be cured with a blepharoplasty.  An in person consultation to examine your eyelids and to do computer imaging would be the best way to proceed for you. Good luck.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Puffy lower eyelids

Thank you for sharing your question. Lower eyelid bags occur for numerous reasons, including genetics and aging. There are noninvasive procedures to treat the problem as well as surgical options. See an eyelid specialist to perform comprehensive evaluation and to discuss possible options. Good luck,