It's been 1 month 2 weeks since I got my gynecomastia surgery and glandular tissue removal. My chest is still not flat? (Photos)

It’s been 1 month 2 weeks since I got my gynecomastia surgery and glandular tissue removal. My check is still not flat. Doctor has ruled out the existence of fluid. He told me that since my pre-operative size of chest was large, it will take time. He has told me that the hanging portion is tissues and should compress further by 50% in 4-6 months. Doctor keeps on telling me that entire breast tissue had been removed. Is what the doctor saying correct and has the breast been removed completely?

It may take 2-3 months for the swelling to subside.  Follow your surgeon's post op instructions like wearing the compression vest and wait a few more weeks for final results.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

1 Month & 2 Weeks Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

My chest is still not flat after gynecomastia surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures.   Based on your photographs, I think that your plastic surgeon has done a very nice job for you;  you have a very nice outcome, given your initial starting point and the time period since your surgery. I also agree with your plastic surgeon that ongoing time will only help improve the outcome (the more time a patient waits after surgery the more likely hi is to see the final outcome of the procedure performed). 

Generally speaking, patients should also remember that removal of too much tissue at the time of corrective gynecomastia surgery may result in problems ( deformities) that are challenging to correct.  Surgeons must balance their desire to achieve the patient's goals (usually as flat a chest contour as possible) with efforts to avoid over resection and contour deformity.

Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice. Best wishes.