It's been 1 month since I got my gynecomastia surgery done. Post 1 month, my chest is not flat? (Photos)

Its been 1 month since I got my gynecomastia surgery done. Post 1 month, my chest is not flat. I have been wearing compression garment from Day 1. I need to know a) whether it is swelling, tissue or fat. b) Whether I will be able to get a flat chest or not. c) How much time should I wait to see the final results. I am a lot concerned about my situation.

Results after gyencomastia surgery

1 month post op is too short to tell about results. From your pictures, it appears that you needed liposuction and glandular tissue removal and it will be best to talk to your surgeon about what is done. Without an in-person check up it is hard to tell that whether it is swelling or residual fat/glands. Whatever it is, you need to wait for healing process to complete for 4-6 months and then will be good time to comment about final results. If there is residual fat and glandular tissue present after complete recovery, you may need revision but this is not advisable within 1 year of surgery. Best Wishes

India Plastic Surgeon

Post Gynecomastia Surgery Healing and Expectations

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

One month after gynecomastia surgery and my chest is not flat?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Without an in-person examination it is difficult to know if your chest tissues are enlarged due to swelling or to residual glandular tissue or fat.  It appears based on your pictures alone that you likely had both adipose and glandular tissue excess and would have benefitted from liposuction and surgical gland removal.  Talk to your surgeon about your results, and compare your before and after photographs to have reassurance provided or additional treatment options recommended.  Best wishes. 

Concerns after gynecomastia surgery...

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after gynecomastia surgery. Your surgeon will always be your best resource for accurate diagnosis, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.  Once complications such as hematoma or seroma have been ruled out, then it will be your best interest to allow for at least 3 to 6 months to pass before evaluating the final outcome of the procedure performed.  At that point, it will be possible to determine whether  any residual "mass" is related to residual breast tissue or maturing scar tissue.  Treatment of course will vary depending on this diagnosis.  Again, key will be close follow-up with your surgeon and ongoing patience once acute complications have been ruled out. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia surgery, male breast surgery, liposuction , Post operative swelling

Thank you for the query. One should wait for at least 3 months before making a  definitive statement about the results. Some edema is bound to be there. Again in some cases like your a skin excision can be of help as you do have some skin excess as seen in you preoperative picture- am not sure if you had skin excision. However wait for some more time, wear your garments and keep following up with your surgeon.

best wishes,

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon