How do you go about "creating" a nose that enhances a patient's face, rather than just a nose that looks good on its own?

For instance, could you give me some examples of a facial feature that would be enhanced by a certain type of nose. Say, if someone has a softer face, with no cheekbones to speak of, would it be safe to say a lower bridge would make it less obvious? Or say. could a slight lift to the nose tip enhance the way the mouth looks and give the illusion of a lip lift or "pulling" up of the top lip? Are certain face shapes better for a straight profile, etc? Any example/experience would be helpful.

Rhinoplasty and facial harmony

Hello and thank you for your question. This is a great question and exactly what I think about every time I perform a rhinoplasty.  It is extremely important to consider all aspects of a patient's facial harmony when planning nasal surgery. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

For the last 15 years I have used a morphing program to plan my surgery.  I do this with the patient.  It is not a perfect approach but seems to work well. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial enhancement to rhinoplasty

It is important to enhance the facial beauty by using the nose properly.  For example if someone is of Asian descent then a narrowed nose will not fit a wide oval-shaped face.Similarly, if somebody is Caucasian of Northern European descent and has a flat bridge of the nose it will take with the beauty of the face.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

I think that everyone's rhinoplasty is going to be different.  Patient personal preference is  a key component into how the rhinoplasty will be performed and what the goals of surgery are.

You have to spend an hour or more with a rhinoplasty surgeon to understand what can be done to enhance your appearance. It cannot be typed out in this forum.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon