Is it counter-productive to bring the surgeon pictures of what I DON'T want? Or pictures at all for that matter (photos)

I feel like I am more concerned with the many Bad results that may occur rather than Which of the few good ones I could end up with. I have already had an extremely poor rhinoplasty and sometimes I see before and afters of revision where it looks worse! Yet they are displayed as successes. To me, many of these pics I attached are bad or "odd" looking nose jobs (of celebrities). Is this a matter of opinion or is what I am seeing actual textbook deformities?

Is it counter-productive to bring the surgeon pictures of what I DON'T want? Or pictures at all for that matter

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Photos

Hi wherehaveigone,
There have been many bad results over many years from plastic surgery. This can be due to poor technique or due to the request of the patient. It is helpful to bring photos of what you don’t want to the consultation, as this will give your surgeon an idea of the sorts of things that need to be avoided at all cost. Obviously it is important for you and your surgeon to come to a landing on what you do want to achieve as well as what you don’t want; however, all information is useful.
Best regards,
Warwick Nettle

Revision rhinoplasty

Before deciding to have a revision rhinoplasty you must realize that the goals need to be very specific and may be limited.  Bringing in photos of what you do now want is helpful.  Your surgeon wants all the information he/she can get in planning the operation. I have attached a link that may be helpful.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I think that it is fine to bring in photos of your likes and dislikes realizing that one can not get exactly the result of photos that one shows.

Not counterproductive at all.

Everyone, every patient and surgeon, sees photos and noses differently. That's why you see surgeons bragging about before and afters that you think are terrible. When you see that, you know that you and the surgeon don't share the same tastes.

Similarly, I think it's crucial that the surgeon do computer morphing, so the surgeon can be sure that he knows just what the patient wants. Without that, patient and surgeon are groping around in the dark.

I like it when a patient brings photos of noses they like, or noses they dislike: it helps me to get in the patient's head and get a better idea of the features she admires, or dislikes. So for me, bringing the photos is a great idea. If you bring photos to a consultation and the surgeon refuses to look at them, ask him how he knows what you're looking for.

You have a nose that is difficult to revise, but not impossible. See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of one view of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that could be possible for your nose in truly expert hands. Because of the shape and position of the tip cartilages, your three-quarter views make the tip look like it droops. I think the persistent width of the nasal bones is participating in the appearance of a bump on the bridge in that view I morphed.

From your frontal view, it looks like the very tip of the nose droops down lower than it should, relative to your nostrils. Your left tip cartilage looks more arched and prominent than your right.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle. At least from these photos, it seems that a revision operation, mostly directed at modifying those tip cartilages, is a reasonable thing to consider. You would always be left with some features to dislike, but the goal of a revision in a nose like yours is to make the main problems substantially better, so even though a year later you still can point out things that you wish were better, you would still say, "but it's so much better than it was, and I'd do it again to get this result." That's a "win" in the revision rhinoplasty business.

Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a revision rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon