Botox caused new wrinkles in less attractive area :( what do I do?

I had botox on my forehead for stress lines, it worked great...the lines have completely disappeared...however its caused the lines between my eyebrows to become noticeable...they are faintish at the moment but visable...im scared they are to etched in to get rid of now....they appeared static in about a month but they are there when im not frowning...do I wait for the first botox to wear off & get the 11s lines done? or will the fine lines there never go? iv had the botox for 2 months now

New lines after forehead Botox

It can be difficult to get a good, natural-appearing result when injecting only the frontalis muscle of the forehead for frown lines, so I am not surprised you are having problems with frown lines of the glabella.

You will probably want to treat these lines by having treatment of the glabellar complex with #Botox.  If you treat this area in the future before treating the frown lines, you will probably need a much smaller dose on the forehead.

All the best, Dr. Clark

Botox Treatment

You do not need to wait until the botox wears off from the forehead before treating the frown lines. You can either proceed with treating the frown lines or wait and treat both together.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox and treating wrinkles

Sometimes what happens with botox is that when wrinkles improve, that other wrinkles become more noticeable. Without seeing you in person it is difficult to comment on your case but it is more likely that you just noticed the wrinkles in your glabella (between the eyebrows) more now that the stress lines are relaxed. Part of botox is having a proper assessment to address each individuals concerns. I think you would possibly benefit from more botox in the 11s area. Best to see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a discussion on this.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for different areas of the face

Botox is a fabulous injection but the results depend on the skill of the physician doing the injection.  I do "baby botox" into several areas so that you don't have the effect that you are describing.  Please return to your treating physician and discuss your concerns.  For the best cosmetic results in the future please consult with a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Botox and facial injections.

Botox treatments

As discussed below, it is often best when treating with a neurotoxin to not just relax one set of muscles but put a few units in various muscle groups to get a balanced and completely natural appearance.  It can be like painting the walls without the ceiling and then you notice how dirty the ceiling paint looks.  Rather than just treating one muscle group, I usually treat small amounts in a balanced fashion to relax the muscle groups as needed and improve the overall appearance of the face.  This doesn't necessarily mean treating with high doses but it means customizing each treatment at each visit.
You may want to follow up with a board certified injection expert for the next treatment to see if you like the result better.  Sometimes switching to Dysport (which has a little more spread) is a good option to catch some stray lines and in certain patients can give a softer, less "frozen" look.  It's very technique dependent though.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

New lines after botox

The forehead muscles (the frontalis) and the muscles between the eyes (corrugators and procerus) are independent muscles, but they work in concert with each other in sort of a tug of war fashion.  When the forehead is injected without injecting the other muscles the corrugators pull in and down (forming the 11's) while the procerus muscle simply pulls down (forming horizontal lines between the nose).  This isn't likely to lead to a permanent problem over the next 2 to 3 months between treatments.  However, if it is troublesome for you, go to your plastic surgeon and have repeat injections between the eyes.  Take care.

Shayne Webb, MD

New wrinkles following botox

You do not need for the botox to wear off in the forehead before getting your frown lines injected.  In saying that, it may be a good idea to wait another month ( 3 months after treatment) and get the two areas injected together so that you are on a schedule for your treatment. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and corrugators

You do not have to wait for the other Botox to wear off before having the "11" lines treated to soften the corrugator function.

New Wrinkle following Botox

Dear Reejones:

Botox is a muscle relaxer used cosmetically. Among many other things, it is used to rebalance the muscles of expression on your forehead (or face, or neck) by weakening muscles pulling on your forehead skin in one direction while gravity and muscles can pull in another direction. This is how skilled and artful physicians can reduce folds and lines and elevate or change the shape of your brows. 

As the targeted muscles relax, they send a signal back to the brain to retain the original expression. The brain will trigger other muscles to contract pulling on adjacent areas of the skin. Any fold can return to normal because the skin remains elastic and has not creased. A crease will produce a more permanent line when the dermis of the skin loses collagen and fails to bounce back like a fold. 

So, you may proceed at any time to rebalance the muscles between the brows and outside the brows to elevate and shape them. I recommend you "touch up" the forehead lines as well so your entire forehead is in "sync". 

Once a line has developed, it will get deeper and more permanent if the skin continues to fold, so it maybe a while (months to years) to retrain the brain and other muscles. To reduce the line, collagen and other skin molecules must be re-created. There are many ways to do this including the use of retinol / tretinoin, Sculptra, laser, peels and more. 

Choose your injector wisely. Select a well versed, well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist who understands the balancing of facial muscles and the rejuvenation of your skin.

I hope this was helpful. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Wrinkles in Other Areas More Noticeable After Botox

Often times, when excellent results are achieved with Botox to treat one area it makes wrinkles in other areas more noticeable. This is particularly true when the forehead alone is treated. If the lines of your glabellar area (11's) are now bothering you, you can get some Botox to this area to help improve them. It is best to do it while the lines are not so deep. The deeper they get, the harder it is to completely get rid of them. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon