Had a tummy tuck September 15th. When can I start standing up straight? My back is killing me.

See above

Start Standing Up Straight Post-Op

Healing after the #tummytuck will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks.

Standing up straight post TT

In general, my patients can usually begin to stand straight after 2 weeks. Before that time, your skin on your abdomen will be stretched so tightly, you will not be able to stand very well.  If your surgery was September 15, you should be getting close to being able to straighten out more comfortably. As always, follow your plastic surgeon's post operative instructions carefully. Best of luck in your recovery.

Fred Hackney, MD

DrDerby

thank you for your question. In general we say wait to 15 days after before standing up but iot is important to talk this over with your surgeon directly. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy tuck - severe back pain after 2 weeks

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• You should be able to stand up straight and to sleep on your side by now -
  • Ask your surgeon and also ask for instructions on how to stretch your back -
  • Pain is usually from muscle spasm.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck

I would recommend that you consult with your surgeon if you are having pain and unable to stand up straight. I generally tell my patients to start walking the day after surgery, even just for 5 or 10 minutes at a time to help blood circulation. If you are unable to do this comfortably then you should definitely consult with you surgeon and have them exam you to see if there are any complications present.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Standing Up Straight after a Tummy Tuck

You should be able to stand up straight right now since you are 13 days after surgery.   My patients are able to do so a few days after surgery.   But do contact your plastic surgeon for instructions.   Since I was not there at your surgery, and I do not know how much skin/fat was removed, etc, how tight the closure was, and how you are healing, your surgeon will be able give you the best  advice.

Best Wishes!