I am still tender and sore in my abdomen after 4 1/2 weeks post lipo, not sure if I should be? (Photo)

My surgery was initially for fat transfer from abdomen to face (cheeks) and had breast augmentation which is healing great. Once in surgery, the surgeon noted my lack of abdominal fat and did a full liposuction to only succeed at getting about 10 cc's. I wore a lipo garment for about a month. I have two little lumps I have been massaging. Just tired of the burning sensation. Would like some healing reccomendations. Would getting back into core strengthening help or hurt?

Liposuction - still sore after a month.

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am sorry you still hurt - 
  • Prolonged aching and tenderness can occur after liposuction -
  • It tends to be worse when there isn't much fat to remove.
  • You should be fine to return to your work outs, although it may make you swell a bit.
  • But it is important to have your own surgeon advise you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Pain after liposuction

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise.  In terms of when it is okay to start core work-out, please check with your surgeon. Good luck.  

Burning sensation and tenderness after liposuction

Thank you for the question and the photo!  It is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam.  It is not uncommon to experience some swelling and discomfort following liposuction.  In particular, tenderness and burning sensation you're describing may be due to an irritation or disruption of the nerves.  Given the fact that you had your procedure done fairly recently, I don't think you have any major reasons to be concerned.  Give it some time, these symptoms usually resolve on their own in six to eight weeks after the procedure. 

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your situation and guarantee an individualized medical advice.  Best of luck!  Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Tenderness after Liposuction

It can be perfectly normal to have areas of scar tissue and tenderness for months after liposuction. Massage helps. I also have my patients stretch and work out if they tolerate it. Nerve pain or sensitivity can also occur and can last for many months. Be patient, these issues will improve with time...

Painful stops after liposuction

In patients with aggressive suctioning, there can be longer lasting swelling or areas of fat necrosis that persist as painful nodules.  These usually abate over time; however, if they are persisting, return to your doctor to discuss treatment which can include injecting them with steroid preparations.  Exercise won't typically help or hurt the areas.  Lymphatic massages may help as well.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon