Is the tip of my nose swollen still? How can I tell? (photos)

I had rhinoplasty August 26th to fix a deviated septum and to fix the hump on my nose. Now that the tip of my nose has lowered with the healing process, I feel like my nose is still larger like it was before, just without the hump. The tip feels and looks larger to me still. After the surgery it looked nice and small, but as timed passed the tip dropped and feels larger like before. Is this due to swelling? Will it get smaller? Or is this my final profile? It might not even look larger to others

Photos early after surgery

you are very early post surgery so swelling is playing a role - also the photos are all at different scales to this makes the nose look bigger or smaller simply due to scale  

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Is my nose still swollen?

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and possibly some asymmetries early in the post-rhinoplasty recovery phase.   It is usually six months before you will see the end results.  At that time, any concerns should be evaluated with your Facial Plastic Surgeon.  

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Swelling

Yes, being 1 month out, your nose is still swollen.  It can take up to a year for the swelling to subside and for you to see the final result.  I would continue to follow closely with your surgeon.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Your nose is likely still very swollen as it can take a year or longer for the swelling to completely subside.

Post-op Nasal Tip Swelling

After rhinoplasty, the swelling in the nasal tip persists the longest. It often takes months for it to reach its final appearance. Decreases in swelling in adjacent regions can make the tip look relatively larger. It is common for the tip to look slightly "dropped" this soon after surgery and it is likely due to swelling especially because you mentioned how it looked smaller early in the recovery period.

Michael Bassiri-Tehrani, MD

Nasal tip swelling

Unfortunately, nasal tip swelling has frustrated patients and surgeons alike for decades.  You are still early in the healing process and your nose will continue to change over the next several weeks to months.  Hang in there and you will slowly see the results that you are hoping for.

Thank you for your question and photographs.

You are still quite early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon