What are the side effects of a full body laser hair removal?

Does the laser hair removal treatment damage any chance of getting pregnant in the future? I am not pregnant now but I had heard rumours that it may damage the area close to the womb? Also, are there any side effects of long pulsed nd yag laser hair removal? Long or short term? Thanks.

Laser Hair Removal and Pregnancy

Laser hair removal has no effect on future pregnancy. It is generally not recommended if someone is pregnant. But from a laser physics, standpoint, the light does not penetrate more than a few millimeters into the skin and would not harm deeper structures such as pelvic organs or lymph nodes. In addition, the light utilized for laser hair removal is in the visible spectrum of light and is not UV radiation or cancer causing radiation.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

I am unaware of any relationship between laser hair reduction and pregnancy. Hair does grow in cycles and hormone changes related to pregnancy may darken any residual hair not previously treated. The only side effects if settings are appropriate are possible short-term redness, swelling and bumps around the hair follicles. Consult with your physician before undergoing the procedure. Best of luck!

Norman H. Rappaport, MD