Polyutherane coated silimed implant risks?

Hi I had breast implants done with polyutherane coated silimed implants 2 years ago. Neither my doctor nor the brochure I received contained infomation regarding the possible link between polyutherane and cancer. Is this malpractice? should I get them removed or is the "damage already done"? Any advice would be great. I've had a few health issues lately and am wandering if these issues are linked to my implants???

Polyurethane

Hello there 

Polyurethane has been shown to cause certain types of tumours in animals but not in people .

Breast implants including polyurethane coated ones do have a very small risk of Breast Implant Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma , a tumour of white blood cells in the fluid around the implants .

The risk of this is thought to be about 1 in 300,000 .

If you use breast cancer risk as a comparison , breast cancer occurs in one in 9 women .

And as well breast cancer can be quite aggressive whereas ALCL is usually simply treated by removing the implant and the scar capsule with an excellent cure rate .

So no , I wouldn't suggest you get your implants removed .

Your other health issues are likely to be due to other reasons, not the implants .

Cheers

TS

Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon