Would dermapen be a good first step in acne scar revision? (Photos)

Hi! I have acne scarring, large pores, and a scar on my forehead from trauma. Would the dermapen yield any results for the scarring? I am sure that I will need a combination of treatments for the best results, but I am wondering if dermapen is worth trying as a first step since it's not quite as invasive as other treatments... Or should I dive right in and treat the scars more aggressively? Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. Take care!

Options for acne scars

I would recommend deeper treatments such as Ematrix RF, fractional resurfacing with Co2 laser, subcision, and Clear and Brilliant laser to improve your acne scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

this type of scarring need a combination approach.  microneedling alone will do very little for these deep scars that need fillers, lasers, subcision/TCA cross and punch excisions. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne Scar Revision with Microneedling

Microneedling will produce some improvement of your scars.  We find consistent, reproducible results with the Eclipse Micropen vs. the Dermapen, the Skinpen, or the Collagen Pen. The Eclipse microneedles are more consistent in the quality of the needles and the depth of penetration.  You may consider combining the microneedling with scar subcision for your first treatment.  As you mentioned, a combination of therapies including lasers, Bellafill, and Sculptra may be needed to provide you the best results.  

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermapen and other treatments for acne scars

Micro needling may help with some of the scars.  You most likely will need a combination of treatments including fillers or PRP and lasers such as Fraxel or eMatrix to treat these deep scars.  Please consult an expert in acne scars for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Deep acne scars and a dermapen

Some of the scars are not so deep and in that case a Dermapen might provide some help. However ,many scars are quite deep, hence the term 'ice-pick' scars. These really need under-grfating with dermis from perhaps an old surgical scar you have or from a skin graft from behind the ear. One newer choice is Belafill, a collagen coated plastic particle which can be injected under the scar. This requires collagen skin testing in advance. Other choices and techniques I have used include punching old the deeper scars and placing circular punch skin grafts. After the deeper scars are corrected then a series of microlaser peels or a deeper resurfacing laser such as an Erbium YAG can provide dramatic improvement. The use of the laser is to 'flatten the mountains and bring up the valleys' but should not be used as a substitute for grafting when necessary. I hope this helps.

Rex Moulton-Barrett, MD
Alameda Plastic Surgeon