Do I need to lose more weight before I get an arm lift and tummy tuck? (Photo)

39/F/200 lbs I've been overweight my whole life. About 6-7 years ago, I lost about 100 pounds. It took a couple of years, it wasn't quick, but I have a lot of loose skin. For the past three years, I've been trying unsuccessfully to lose another 40 pounds. I'm not sure it's going to happen. If I am at a stable weight, and I don't anticipate any great fluctuations, can I get an arm lift and tummy tuck?

Do I need to lose more weight before I get an arm lift and tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and picture. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.   Whether or not combination surgery should be performed (or whether the procedures should be staged) will depend on many factors, especially safety considerations. Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss) helps. Best wishes.

Stable weight

If you are at a stable weight and you don't think you will lose any more, then it would be ok to proceed.  Given your massive weight loss so far, you will need a lot of skin resected and your skin has been previously stretched.  So, you will need a more extensive procedure to address the extra skin.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon

Should I Lose More Weight Before Surgery?

This an excellent, and very frequent question.  First off, congratulations on your hard work and persistence - not an easy feat!  There is no ideal weight for a patient prior to body contouring surgery.  In general, if a person has achieved their weight loss goals and are at a stable weight, this is a reasonable time to consider surgery.  It sounds like this might be your situation.  Stable weight for several months will likely improve the surgical outcomes as well increase the safety of the operation.  Consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will help clarify your options and help guide your decision making.  Best of luck and great work!

Jeffrey M. Pitcher, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after weight loss

Hello,  thank you for your question.   Been stable on a weight is one of the main factors when deciding to have body contouring surgery.  I think you are in a good moment to have your surgery done.   Visit a certified plastic surgeon in your area for a correct evaluation and treatment.  Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD