Risks Second Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

I had upper eyelid surgery 2 years ago at age 23. I was never 100% happy but decided to wait since I heard it can take up to one year for everything to settle down. I visited my doctor yesterday and he said he could take some extra skin away but did warn me about increased risk of scarring and/or pigmentation. I was hoping for an opinion about whether I should do it or not but he just said he is able to redo it (for free). Therefore I am writing to ask for a second opinion.

Risks Second Eyelid Surgery?

You should NEVER decide to do a surgery because it is FREE! I believe very minor skin removal could improve the appearance. So do it based on the need not the  $$$'s 

Chasing Upper Eyelid Perfection

At first glance your lids appear to be fine. Upon further examination there is a slight asymmetry that your surgeon probably sees and is willing to attack. The only problem is that this hunt for perfection can go on indefinitely and it is unlikely that you would ever be "100%'' pleased.  It is usually best to limit these type revisions to one and then move on.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

Will not benefit from second eyelid surgery

If you were unhappy with the first surgery, doing the same surgery again a second time will probably give you the same result: disappointment. There are definite, real, serious and sometimes irreversible risks to eyelid surgery. I simply cannot see any benefit for those risks.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Risks of second eyelid surgery

Personally, I think your eyes look very nice the way they are.  For someone your age, I would doubt that you need more skin removed.  Is there a particular part of the eyelid that you do not like?  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Caution in Too Much Skin Removal in Second Eyelid Surgery

In an article I wrote called ethnic considerations on eyelid surgery, I indicated that we have to be very sensitive and aware of the clear anatomic issues that are important when dealing with people with dark skin as well as prominent eyes- eyes that are slightly forward. When undergoing upper eyelid surgery, one of the most critical things is not having too much skin removed. As a specialist, I have seen many patients come to me who had too much skin removed in either the upper or lower eyelids, unfortunately sometimes both.

When I look at your photos alone, I can probably assess that there is some room to remove a small amount of skin in the outer aspect of the eye. I tell my patients of African descent, or with naturally prominent eyes, and patients who have thyroid eye disease that hooding part of the outer aspect is very important to focus on.  Sometimes taking away that hooding makes the eyes look more prominent. One of the strategies I use for patients who have thyroid eye disease is to be aware of that prominence and to camouflage a little bit of it.

Nonetheless, if your key concern is a little bit of skin removal on the outer aspect, that would be fine. As far as the risks of scarring and pigmentation changes, that’s always a risk in any surgery. Your surgeon knows your skin and has given you some advice regarding the potential for that. Assuming that your surgeon is experienced, I would say that it is important for you to at least take that into consideration and be prepared for any additional management that may be necessary. I hope that helps you with your concerns.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon