Scar placement for lower bodylift/extended tummy tuck, straight, curved? Please explain?

I see huge varieties in scar placement in photos of lower bodylifts, w some being straight and low (just above pubic bone, straight across to the back) and some being curved, following the hip (dip at the front of the belly, higher at the sides over de hips, meeting in a V in back). Can you explain the advantages of either technique? Does scar placement impact results/pull of the lift? Like, the higher the scar, the more pull on the upper part of the torso possible?

Scar placement

In my practice, the placement of the scar is put quite low and so is covered by underwear - coming around to the back as a “G-string” pattern.   My aim is to ensure that the resulting scars are as hidden as possible.

Scar placement for body lift

In general, the incision lines are designed so that they will be least visible, while also falling within natural creases and along natural contours.  Optimal placement is also determined by exactly where the excess skin is and how the folds relate to the natural creases and contours.  It is all highly individualized for each patient and preferences of the patient should be taken into account.  Best wishes for a beautiful result!

The placement of scars in a bodylift mainly depends on the amount and position of the loose excess skin that has to be excised during the procedure. In placing the scar, we would like to hide the scar as much as possible. I prefer a slightly curved scar both in the front and back as it sits better with the natural crease of the body. However, this is something that you can discuss with your plastic surgeon during your consultation.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Incision placement

Since each patient is different, the scar location may be different as well. Certain goals of the surgery are similar, but modifications have to be made for many patients.  Best of luck.

Body lifting - best incision?

Thank you for asking about your body lift.
  • The body lift incision varies with many factors -
  • Where is the loose skin? What is the look the patient wants? What clothes does the patient want to wear? 
  • Generally the incisions that are low and hidden in front and back and that follow the natural curves of the hips at the sides give the strongest lift and the least visible scars.
  • But there is no right or wrong - it depends on what is needed.
  • A lower body lift will not however tighten the upper torso.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS