I would like to have a smaller and less bulbous nose tip. What treatment would you recommend? (photos)

I would like to have a smaller and less bulbous nose tip, and also reducing the nasal tip bifidity . What kind of surgery would you recommend? I seem to have a short and wide nose bridge/nasal bones. Would a tip reduction alone create an aesthetic effect or do I also need further surgery on the nasal bones to balance out my nose? Thank you for answering my questions.

I would like to have a smaller and less bulbous nose tip. What treatment would you recommend?

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

I would like to have a smaller and less bulbous nose tip.

From the enclosed photos, the nose appears to have a wide tip, increased tip projection, under-rotated tip with a wide, crooked (nasal bone goes to the right) nasal bridge.  You can reduce the size, of the nasal tip alone but this would make the bridge appear even more wide in comparison.  An Rhinoplasty to reduce the nasal tip width as well the width of the nasal bridge would seem warranted.   

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip repair

Yes, a rhinoplasty procedure can help make the nose look more refined and symmetrical. To reduce the bulbous tip, suture techniques are applied to the lower lateral cartilages. This will also help with the bifid  nasal tip as well. The asymmetrical mid vault area will also require a spreader graft placement on the concave side. Osteotomies of the nasal bones are performed to narrow the bridge line. For many examples of narrowing a wide nose and bulbous tip, please see the link below

The areas you are concerned about are frequently improved with a tip rhinoplasty alone without altering the bridge. Whether you should have the procedure is a personal decision only you can make after a full consultation. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue or whether you would get a better result with a full rhinoplasty.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS).You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Dealing with the bulbous tip

While the tip is the dominating issue with your nose and it can be improved, you also have wider distance than optimal distance between the nose bones and your nostrils are slightly wide and asymmetric. Tip surgery alone will make the the rest of the nose look wider and there will be a significant disharmony between the different segments of your nose. If you decide to have a rhinoplasty it would be important to have a uniformity in the improvement.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon