Fraxel repair. Full face or only the scarred area?

I mainly have boxcars on my cheeks. I have tried subcision for 3 times, but i don't see (enough) results. I want to try the fraxel re:pair. Is it best to do this full face? Or only the scarred area?

Fraxel vs Fully ablative laser

The answer to your question lies in the video below. If you have shallow box car scar, I would use a fully ablative CO2 or even an Erbium laser. Fraxel RePair can help, but its against my advice. You will need 2-4 sessions depending on your skin type, downtime and depth of scars. 

DR Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Fraxel re:pair

I agree with Dr. Lane above.  You can do either and they are different.  I use both ablative CO2 and fractional CO2 settings with the Fraxel re:pair.  The laser is capable of both although most only utilize the fractional component.  I do use the more traditional ablative method to "round off" existing scars, although I also find the fractional CO2 laser (higher settings) to be quite effective for acne scarring.  As noted, multiple treatments will offer best results.

Joshua E. Lane, MD, MBA
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel re:pair

Fraxel re:pair laser is a carbon dioxide (CO2) laser that
vaporizes microscopic columns of tissue deep within the skin. It is one of the
more aggressive resurfacing options and I find results highly satisfactory within
1-2 treatment sessions. I would recommend treating the full face rather than
sections to avoid demarcation lines post healing. You want the texture and tone
of your skin to be uniform. I think you’ll be pleased with the outcome.

Tanda Lane, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon