Eye changes due to hyperthyroidism? (photos)

I have been hyperthyroid for some years, finally starting to get it under control. My eyes, especially when I smile, seem to have changed for the worse. I added years(2013, pre hyperthyroidism and 2016, now) to the pictures. The eyes seemed restful and calm before, but manic and in some sense fatigued, now. Can anyone point me in the direction of what happened, and what can be done about it? Can it reverse by itself, is there a helpful surgery? What kind of doctor should I see about it?

Eye changes due to hyperthyroidism

You have upper eyelid retraction and possible bulging eyes, likely related to thyroid disease. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation. You may benefit from upper eyelid retraction surgery. See following link.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thyroid eye disease

Dear Maze Fish,

It does appear as though you are starting to develop thyroid eye disease.  Unfortunately when that happens there is no way to "stop it"--it has to run its course.  Some people get buldging eyes, some people have eyelids that open up too wide, and some people even get double vision.   These things can all potentially be vision threatening.  I would recommend an examination by an oculoplastic surgeon.  Unfortunately when this starts it can progress for up to 15 months before it settles.   The only thing we know that makes it worse is smoking--so if you do that try and stop!!!  Good Luck!

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hyperthyroidism

this may be due to a condition associated with the thyroid disease.  An autoimmune condition can cause both.  Typically it does not resolve on its own but surgery is very effective.  The surgery should be customized and seeing an ophthalmic plastic surgeon will help

Possibly

Greetings from the UK. Difficult to tell from your photos but yes you may have some eyelid retraction. Often it does reverse as your thyroid control improves or if the thyroid eye disease itself burns itself out. Ideally you need to see an oculoplastic surgeon who'll be able to diagnose it properly and advise treatment. Best Wishes

David

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon