Is this a double bubble? I'm only one week post op. But it seems like a double bubble and I'm stressing out. (Photos)

I did an augmentation breast surgery few days ago ( October 12 , 2016). Five days after, I noticed a ripple above to the inframmary fold incision like an another IMF. This "new infra-mammary fold" is becoming high while the silicon proteses is going down. My surgeon doesn't know what could be happened. Can I have your help, please. I´m sending some photos for ilustrate my problem. What can I do now? Thanks a lot, Isabel

Is this a double bubble?

First of all, don't Panic. You are very soon after surgery in your pictures and many things will change. The extra fold you have on each breast suggest that the new fold underneath each breast has been lowered to accommodate a bigger breasts. Sometimes this contour irregularity will soften. Just be sure your doctor knows you are concerned and potentially unhappy so that they are willing to work with you if you need a revision. Hang in there and watch to see this problem become less with time.

Is this a double bubble?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Double Bubble

Unfortunately, it does appear that you’ve developed double bubble. Your implants did not fall into their correct position, causing the overlying breast tissue to fall below them. This gives the appearance of two breast creases (inframammary folds). You may want to wait about 4 months to see if the condition improves. If it doesn’t, please return to your surgeon to discuss revision surgery. 

Double Bubble

Double Bubble

Based on the pictures you have posted it does appear that you have a double bubble. This happens when the old breast fold and the new breast fold have separate levels. I would suggest waiting 6 months. During this time, as the implant settles, the weight of the implant may soften the old fold making the deformity less visible. After this time, a decision can be made as to whether revisionary surgery may be needed in order to correct this.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Double Bubble

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Double bubble trouble

Hi.  Yes - this does look like a double bubble.  It can happen when your initial breast is small, with a short distance from the nipple to increase. Hopefully, as the tissue relaxes post-operatively, it will improve.  Otherwise, you will need a revisional surgery.  Showing your "before" photos would be helpful.

Double bubble trouble

Is this a double bubble after breast augmentation?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. It looks like you have "double bubble". A "double bubble" is a cosmetically undesirable circumstance for patients with breast implants, which occurs when the breast fails to take on the shape of the implant, resulting in the appearance of a visible line showing a separation between the bottom edge of the implant and the bottom edge of the natural breast.   Double bubble "deformities" may be more striking (visible) when breast implants have bottomed out.  Sometimes, in situations like yours, the appearance of the breast improves over the course of the first several months; sometimes, additional surgery may be necessary to improve the outcome.

If revisionary surgery becomes necessary, there are several options when it comes to improving your outcome.  One option is to eliminate the pull of the pectorals major muscle either by completely releasing it or by suturing the muscle back down, thereby placing the breast implants  in the sub glandular position.  Patients who choose to have breast implants placed in the sub  glandular position should have enough breast tissue coverage to allow for this conversion. There are disadvantages of placing breast implants in the sub glandular position (such as increased risk of breast implant encapsulation) which should be considered as you make your decisions.

Another maneuver that may be helpful is raising the inframammary fold using capsulorraphy techniques. Sometimes, depending on factors such as quality of skin along the lower breast poles, additional support provided by acellular dermal matrix or biosynthetic mesh may be very helpful. I have also found the use of acellular dermal matrix very helpful in cases where the skin/tissues are very thin and in cases of recurrent breast implant displacement. The acellular dermal matrix helps improve contour, improves irregularities caused by the underlying breast implant and/or scar tissue, and provides additional support ("sling" effect) for the breast implants.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.