Will they drop at the bottom of my breast tissue and will the nipple go up? (Photo)

Hello! Im today 3weeks and 4 days my implants are to my armpit and the breast tissue by the nipple is very soft and empty. Im very depressed because i'm so unhappy i dont get it why some of the ladies have the perfect breast after the aug and mine are stil freaky. My doctor said i will see the results at 7 weeks but i'm afraid not.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Thank you for your photo. It is a pleasure to answer your question. You´re still on your recovey process. 3 weeks post-op of your surgery is too early to see the final outcome. The swelling would start going down with every week that passes by. Sometimes you will have one breast that will settle before the other one. It can take anywhere from 4-6 months for your breasts to fully heal and drop/settle into their final position. I recommend patience and follow up closely with your surgeon. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cali Plastic Surgeon

Nipples too low?

You are only a few weeks out from surgery. You have to give it about 7-8 weeks for everything to settle. If after 6 months they haven't settled, please return to your surgeon and make them aware of the situation. I hope you used a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Arthur Shektman, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Nipples low

Hello, your breast shape could improve for months after surgery so hopefully your final result will be more in line with your expectations.  Implants often sit high at first.  It is important to have ongoing assessments by your surgeon to follow this along.

Will they drop at the bottom of my breast tissue and will the nipple go up?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed. As the breast implants settle, the nipple/areola "lift up" to some degree. 

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Drop and fluff - 3-6 months is needed

Thank you for your question and photos.

I humbly request you to not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. You may be depressed and perhaps panic over what you have done, be regretful and anxious, doubt your needs for surgery, and worry about the final results while your incisions look scary. After waiting for a few months, patients finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

Also note that any asymmetry that existed in breasts before surgery will continue to exist as breast augmentation only works to increase size of the breasts, and it does not fix asymmetry.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. You are only 3 weeks into recovery, so there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.” If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop.

Patience is key!

Also, please note that there is normally an emotional cycle of ups and downs that most patients undergo. Post-operative depression is real, and its effects can be minimized if patients are prepared for and understand it in advance. Unfortunately, patients don’t get to see what the plastic surgeon sees in the operating room (symmetric breasts), and as the patients gets in the recovery room, the breasts begin to swell and muscles begin to tighten.

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still fairly early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, over the next few weeks eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing there to be more fullness at the bottom.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would also continue to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon