Chemical peel, laser resurfacing, or something else? (photo)

Hi, I am in my mid 20s, and over the last years, my crow's feet have increased noticeably. Apart from this I have some shallow acne scarring and pigmentation differences, I think. I am however no expert at diagnosing myself. What treatment would be ideal to hit all problems? I was thinking either a chemical peel, or laser resurfacing, or some combination or treatment I have not thought of, I'd like to avoid both botox and injectable hyaluronic acid. Please advise, thanks!

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. Chemical peel is a great option for targeting parts of the skin that are experiencing acne scares, fine lines and wrinkles, and sun damage. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crows feet and acne scars

Thanks for your question and photo. The two issues you have
identified, crows feet and acne scars are best treated with different modalities.
I know you wish to avoid botox, but looking at your photo I believe botox would
be the safest, simplest and most
effective treatment for your crows feet. (sorry!). However for shallow acne
scars you would potentially benefit from any form of "resurfacing". Laser,
chemical peel or dermabrassion. Deeper scars may benefit from excision or punch
grafting followed by resurfacing.

Ralph Massey, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologist

Eye lines.

These lines are due to the muscles around your eyes.  If you do not relax them with Botox they will always be there.  Daily use of a retinol around your eyes will also help.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

Treatment for wrinkles, acne scars and irregular skin pigmentation

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. There are many methods for improving your problems; however, a combination approach might be best for you. I like injecting Botox followed by laser skin resurfacing or PRP with microneedling. See a doctor experienced with multiple modalities in order to be given the best guidance.  Good luck,

Crows feet in young male laser - peel - something else

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern. In your case crows feet should be the result of the muscle contraction around your eyes. Botox should be a better solution. You can always start doing light chemical peels for skin maintenance. Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Wishing you the best in your journey

Halo laser skin resurfacing will be a good fit

Hello,Thanks for your questions. Halo laser is a combination of ablative and non ablative lasers which providers can fully control the settings according to your concerns.  It helps to improve acne scarring, pigmentations, textures, pores, and wrinkles and safe to use for your age and any ethinicity.  The deep chemical peels(such as TCA)  also can help your conerns, but laser treatments will be much more effective. Best,Dr. Kevin Belasco

Kevin T. Belasco, DO
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Close examination needed- lasers vs peels

We really do need to have a close examination and understand your aims and full expectations. Fully ablative lasers at your age is not recommended, you do have the option for more gentle lasers such as non ablative Fraxel, or even micro needling, or RF and PRP. If you skin is good, preventive measures such as Clear and Brilliant plus vitamin infusions into your skin may help reduce the signs of ageing. Other lasers such as Picosure Focus can also address your concerns. A consultation is needed as there are so many ways to rejuvenate your skin.All the bestDr Davin LimLaser and aesthetic dermatologist, Brisbane Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Crow's feet

It is not possible nor advisable to eliminate all of the Crow's feet which are dynamic wrinkles. However, CO2 Laser skin resurfacing with or without a small direct lateral brow lift would markedly reduce the wrinkles and may have a 5-7 day down time given your youth. Factors that worsen wrinkles - sun damage and smoking - should be avoided. Best wishes with your decision.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Peels versus Laser

Thank you for your question. While it is not possible to completely tell through the photograph, it appears as though you have actinic damage (sun damage) in addition to wrinkling from dynamic motion - natural facial expressions. For all of my patients in your age group with this presentation I have a three tier approach. I recommend initially skin care focusing on prevention of further actinic damage. This includes a retinol (usually 0.5%), a antioxidant (vitamin C), and daily sunscreen. This combination alone will work wonders for your skin. In addition, I recommend Botox treatments to the crows feet and if cost permitting the forehead. Crows feet in this age group are by far the most important to treat and treat regularly. This can be incredibly effective. The final tier is the "jump start".  For a "jump start" I am a proponent of both laser and peels for resurfacing. In my practice, this tends to be most related to cost and downtime. Laser resurfacing (Co2) tends to be more expensive with a longer down time - however it can be the most efficacious. Peels are lower cost but require more expertise than one might expect. A TCA peel can provide significant improvement to pigmentation and fine wrinkles. It must be noted that both treatments come with significant risk of hyper or hypo pigmentation (a blanched look) or persistent redness. They should not be done in the summer months.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

I suggest a formal consultation , often non ablative lasers like fraxel with microneedling and sculptra do very well for this.  Botox/dysport can also be used with skin care.  If someone wishes we do light fractional ablative lasers like erbium or co2.  I suggest a consult.  Best, Dr. Emer.