How to avoid losing my waist with body lift? I don't want the straight torso I so often see in body lifts!

I have a natural hourglass shape and have lost a lot of weight (100lbs), i am looking into getting a body lift since the majority of my loose skin is around hips/belly/lower back/upper thighs. However, i don't want to lose my waist/hip "curve"! I often see lower bodylifts that result in straight up and down waists, with straight line from the ribcage to the hip. Is there any way to avoid that, and if so, how? Would that also impact scar placement? Sorry for the technical question ;-))

Body lift - how to keep my waist

Thank you for asking about your body lift.'
  • First, be sure to be very clear with your surgeon as to the look you want.
  • A vertical may need to be added to define the waist
  • Liposuction may also be needed -
  • There are many variations - advance planning is essential.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Body lift curves

There are many variations to the procedure  and some even need a vertical excision as well to narrow the waist. It really depends.

Hourglass figure and body lift

It is important that you discuss your goals with your surgeon preoperatively, so an operative plan can be developed to give your the figure you desire.  Often liposuction of the flanks and waist can be performed to accentuate the curves of the lateral torso, though at times, for concerns about blood supply, this may be performed as a staged procedure rather than at the time of the body lift.  Note that some patients simply have a "boxy" musculoskeletal build, and despite our best efforts, only limited contouring of the waist can be achieved. But this is predictable, based on a physical exam, and this limitation can be discussed before surgery.  Best of luck. 

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon