How do I know if my body is ready for exercise? How long before one can go swimming? Beginning workout exercises? (photos)

Hey! I really want to get back into my workout groove. I was doing a lot of weighted exercises with dumbell/kettleball/ankle weights before BA. I had to run to my car before work because I forgot something, and it didn't even feel like I had BA. I still have done swelling of course as im still early in the healing process. I get my stiches out the 7th. I really want to get back into it. Im a cna at a hospital and went back to work the next day (pain level 4 right after BA).

Post Op Activity Restrictions

It is great to hear that you have very little discomfort, however your risk of bleeding and compromising the implant pocket does not depend on pain level. Over using your pectoral muscles at this time could put too much pressure on your implants before you are fully healed. I ask my BA patients to avoid cardio for 3 weeks and heavy lifting for 6 weeks post op. I recommend that you check with your Plastic Surgeon and ask them to clear you for activity.

All the best

When can I return to normal activities?

Congratulations on your recent BA surgery.  It's great that you are feeling well however your body still needs to heal from the inside.  I recommend my patients to take it easy and no exercising until 3-4 weeks post-op.  No chest workouts till 3-6 months post-op.  I also inform my patients to stay out of a pool, hot tub or ocean for 3-4 weeks till the incision is completely healed. Last thing you want is an infection and risk losing the implant.  Best of luck on your recovery! 

Ask your surgeon !

Hi Happyboobs93, glad you're doing so well.  Each plastic surgeon is different and really this should have been discussed already and I would always defer to your plastic surgeon.  Surely if you called their office, even their staff should be able to tell you what their post op regimen is.  As the others have said, I have my patients wait over a month for heavy lifting and start cardio before that.  Communicating with your surgeon is critical to an optimal result and you don't want to muck it up so definitely ask them what they recommend.  Good luck!

Resuming Activities Post Breast Surgery

You make take gentle walks within a few days following your #surgery. Light #activity may be started 7-10 days after surgery. If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide you with a note stating you are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will note disclose what procedure you underwent.Do not begin light aerobic #exercise for 3 weeks and strenuous exercise for at least 6 weeks. Let your body tell you what it can tolerate. It is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your healing concerns.

Exercise after breast augmentation

Hi there happyboobs. I'm pleased everything has gone well so far. I find it a very common situation that patients are really keen to get back to exercise - it is a self-selecting group of women who are interested in breast augmentation and keeping fit and healthy is important! I advise patients to hold off for 3-4 weeks before starting to lift weights doing strenuous exercise. You want to give yourself the best chance of getting a nice outcome. But really, your surgeon will best advise you. Good luck!

How do I know if my body is ready for exercise? How long before one can go swimming? Beginning workout exercises?

I am happy to hear that you are is doing so well after your breast augmentation.  However I would encourage you to slow down and give yourself adequate time to recover.  If your implants are placed underneath the chest muscle you should avoid pushups and weightlifting and vigorous upper body exercise for 6 weeks in my opinion.

It is most important that you follow the explicit instructions of your plastic surgeon.