My nose looks exactly the same. Is it swelling or a mistake? (Photo)

I just got my cast off today and as expected my nose was insanely swollen, not so expecting my bump to still be there! My doctor quickly reassured me that it was just swelling, but from all the reviews I have read and pictures Ive seen no nose has the bump still. Yes they are swollen but you can still see a difference. Is this normal? Am I just over worrying??

My nose looks exactly the same. Is it swelling or a mistake?

Greetings

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Post-OP edema (swelling)

You have significant swelling from your surgery. Despite the swelling, your hump looks improved to me. Please remember it is way too early to judge the result at this point in time. Swelling usually subsides over the next 5-6 weeks, with secondary healing occurring for many months. I advise you wait at least 3 months before you judge the surgical result. You should adhere to your surgeon's instructions and see him or her frequently. In the meantime, you can adhere to a low salt diet, keep your head elevated, and avoid strenuous physical activities to keep the swelling (edema) minimized. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Post-Op

Post-Rhinoplasty swelling can last up to 12-18 months depending on the thickness of your skin.  However I must admit that from a frontal view your swelling is significant and more than I am used to seeing in our patients.  Really not sure why but it can happen.  So stay patient and if at the end of 3-4 months you are still concerned discuss it with your surgeon.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon