How do I locate a doctor?

Had saline breast implants put in in 1996. Now and I think for awhile, been having multiple problems, especially joint pain and underarm pain. How do I find a doctor to believe me and take them out?

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Breast implant removal - find my surgeon

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• I am sorry you are having problems with your implants.
  • We do know that biofilms around the implant can cause chest pain and problems elsewhere that go away with implant removal.
  • To find your surgeon, go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
  • Find surgeons near you - all are Board Certified.
  • Call various offices and explain that you want the implants removed and possibly a capsulectomy and lift of the breast - is that something the surgeon does a lot?
  • If so, make an appointment and select the surgeon who treats you with courtesy and respect and helps you decide what to have done.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Choosing the right surgeon to get the best outcome

The first thing you should do is check the ASPS website for a list of doctors in your area.  Then look at online reviews.  Check the surgeon's website.  Look at their results.  Ask around to see if you have any personal references, these can be very helpful.  Once you have screened the doctor, meet with them. If they are professional and sincere, educated and experienced, if they listen to your concerns and develop a plan which fits with your goals, you have found a good match.

Breast Implant Removal

I would suggest finding a board certified plastic surgeon with experience removing breast implants. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that removing the implants will eliminate your symptoms. However, it is worth a shot if you are willing to have them removed. Best of luck.

I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and discussing removing your implants. Most doctors would agree to remove your implants if you choose to do so.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

How do I locate a doctor?

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. You will find many good board certified plastic surgeons who can help you. Patients in your situation often request removal of breast implants along with capsulectomy surgery.   

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

***When I see patients in your situation, I ask them to seek a few medical consultations (for example rheumatologists or neurologists as  their specific situation warrants);  do not assume that the "multiple problems" you are experiencing are related to the breast implants.   Sometimes, it takes a few consultations and the appropriate workup to make a correct diagnosis and correctly treat patients in your situation.

You may find the attached link/video helpful to you as you learn more.

Locating a Surgeon

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for implant removal.   The only way to know if your implants are causing any medical issues is to have them removed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD