Job requires driving in my car and meeting people in their homes - Can I return to work after 4 days?

Hello, my job is a desk job, but requires me to travel to people's homes a couple of days a month. I sit down with them and chat with them - there is not strenuous activity involved, unless you include driving. Total driving time is about 3 hours. My surgery is on a Monday and this work day is scheduled on Friday. I have the following Monday off as well for post-op. Would it be safe for me to go into work that Friday, given I've had 3 full days off since surgery and another 3 after? Thank you!

Recovery after BA Surgery

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery! Yes, it sounds like that would be reasonable. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time after Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question regarding recovery time after breast augmentation. You may feel absolutely fine to drive at this time after surgery, however, it is hard to predict exactly how you may be feeling.  At this point 3 hours of driving might be a bit too long. Additionally, if you are still taking narcotic medications you would want to avoid driving all together. If possible, see if you can do just the desk job activities for the first 2 weeks. Best wishes,Steven Camp MD#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Post breast augmentation return to work.

In my practice I tell my patients to avoid all driving until a week after surgery.  They also avoid moderate or heavy lifting or forceful use of their arms according to a protocol that I have developed.  The risks are small but if a complication does occur that adversely effects your healing you would regret having pushed your return to work.  I would feel somewhat different however if you could get someone to drive you and you can avoid any lifting, pushing or pulling while at work.  Discuss this with your selected plastic surgeon for his/her opinion of course.  Regards. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Recovery Time Post Op

This could be a tough call for you because some BA patients feel quite well and able to drive within a few days but if you are still taking narcotic medication or happen to have very sore pectoral muscles, turning the wheel may be too strenuous. I recommend that you discuss your expectations and plan with your Plastic Surgeon,
All the best

Driving after 4 days

Hello and thank you for the question.
Typically the standard period of time before I recommend a patient driving full time is one week. And if it is less than 5-7 days, then they must be off of their narcotic medicine, or anything that would impair driving, completely. If you cannot swerve the steering wheel in case of an emergency then it would be unsafe for you to drive. Patients usually are driving as soon as they feel ready, but some still feel the soreness from driving even two weeks post-op. 
Ultimately I suggest discussing it with your plastic surgeon to work out a game plan for this.

Traci Temmen, MD