Neck Lift Needed for Loose Skin?

I am 39 years old--almost 40. I do not sag in the neck but when I turn my neck to a certain way, I do not like the appearance. It is not quite sagging but it is very loose and unattractive. Do I need a neck lift yet or what would work without surgery?

Options for Loose Neck Skin

If you do not have loose neck skin and only notice laxity when you turn your head then perhaps non surgical methods may help/ There are many including LuxIR Deep, Thermage, Titan, Ulthera etc.

However if you have significant loose skin a Neck Lift is required.

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a professional opinion. Avoid spa's promoting non surgical skin tightening.

I find that unaesthetic appearance of the neck may result from lax skin or muscle, or a thick fat pad.

If you have minimally lax skin and some thickness of the fat pad, liposuction may tighten the skin and improve the contour.

On the other hand, it sounds like your underlying muscle (platysma) has loosened and separated to form "vertical bands", and this may be exacerbated on turning the head. This can be addressed by several techniqes, including a neck lift. Go ahead and get an evaluation and some options.

Neck lift in 39 year old?

I dis agree with some of my colleagues.  I do not think 39 is too young to have a neck lift for excess slin in the neck.  Liposuction is not the answer if the primary problem is excess skin.  Be wary of the promises made for the nonsurgical options.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck lift at 39

I think 39 is a bit young to have this surgery, but if you lost a lot of weight then perhaps you are a candidate.

Loose skin of the neck requires a type of neck lift.

There are many ways of handling problems of the neck. If the problem is too much fat, then liposuction can solve the problem. However, with just ‘loose skin” you probably do not have any significant excess fat. Usually what you have described is caused by laxity of the underlying muscle (the platysma) that carries the skin with it. There are essentially 3 ways of correcting this. One is to do a central neck lift. This involves detaching the skin from the muscle centrally and then tightening the muscle and redraping the skin. If this is not enough, then the disconnection is extended behind the ear and the muscle is tightened there and excess skin is removed. The other method is to do a form of face lift. In someone your age, with minimal problem in the face, a procedure such as the MACS Lift (a short scar lift) may be the ideal way to solve your problem. It also tightens the jowl as well as significantly tightens the neck and removes excess skin easier and more aesthetically than the neck lift behind the ear. The only way to know for sure what will work is with an examination and discussion of your problem and desires.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Needed for Loose Skin

Thank you for your question, without pictures or an assessment it is very hard to advise whether non surgical or surgical route would be best to take.  

I have pioneered my Concept™ Facelift and Necklift which is suitable for men and women who wish to reduce sagging in the lower face (jowls) and neck and regain a more natural, rejuvenated appearance. The procedure is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period. This innovative procedure combines the latest surgical techniques with the use of local anaesthetic to dramatically reduce the risks associated with traditional facelifts, while significantly reducing the bruising and downtime of your recovery, from months to a matter of days.

What are the benefits of the local anaesthetic Concept™ Facelift?

• Minimally invasive as it is a short scar facelift
  • There is minimal bruising and swelling, especially when compared to traditional facelifts
  • As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, you can go straight home following the procedure
  • Full recovery in a matter of days rather than months
  • Significantly less risk than Facelifts performed under general anaesthetic
  • Fresh, youthful and long lasting results

Make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve. 

All The Best

Neck lift??

The modality to be used to improve neck contour  is based on the physical exam. Non-invasive therapies are only useful for minor corrections. Skin only incision are not useful because skin is elastic and will only relax over time. More often than not, the underlying structure (muscle, deep and superficial fat) need to be tightened, some removed and repositioned. This type of lift tightens the neck muscle (platysma) if they are loose or splayed. During this procedure a 3cm incision is made just behind the chin crease and the muscle in the neck is accessed and tightened with sutures in way a corset would be tightened. Chin implant and liposuction can be done through this same incision.

Neck lift for loose skin...

A neck lift is an excellent procedure that can help correct and enhance the neck, which improves loose saggy skin, and gives a more natural look.  Unfortunately, anyone who turns their neck in certain directions or turns the chin in may show some loose skin.  If your neckline in the normal position looks good, then you probably won't benefit from surgery.  There is no ideal age for neck surgery, and candidates may range from people in their 20's to the elderly as long as you are a good candidate.  To see if you are qualified for this surgery, you should be sure to speak with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift does not address excess skin

A neck lift will not get rid of excess skin in the lower neck area. The neck lift operation is designed for tightening the platysma muscle, and removal of fat above and below the muscle. Excess skin must be removed from behind the ear, which necessitates a lower face/neck lift.

Neck Lift

At 39, you seem a bit on the young side to be considering a neck lift unless you have perhaps lost a lot of weight. Without the benefit of examining you, it's difficult to make a suggestion.

Since you only seem to see the excess skin when you turn your head, my guess is that a less extensive procedure might benefit you to tighten the skin, and buy you some time. Inevitably though, you will continue to get loosening there and smaller procedures, at a younger age, will help give you the best results.

Discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon, experienced in this area.

Darrick E. Antell, MD