Neck Lift or Chin Implant to Improve Profile?

I have always had a problem with my profile because while I am very in shape my neck line has always been really troubling. I feel like it slopes in a really ugly way. Would I need to get a Neck lift or a Chin implant?

Chin Implant Not Neck LIft Will Improve Your Profile

You are young, fit and your photo does not show excess neck skin.

A chin Implant will lengthen the jaw line and improve your profile. From the photos I see no need for a Neck Lift.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Neck Lift or Chin Implant

I agree with most of the other reviewers. From what I can see, a chin implant would probably solve your problem. Of course, with a through examination and discussion with you, a different approach may be indicated.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift or Chin Implant

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neck profile improvement

There are several issues (which need to be determined by palpation and an exam) and ways to help. Two patients who look identical might require totally different procedures.

If the chin is weak, a chin implant helps. It definitely appears this would benefit you.

If there is extra fat, liposuction helps. This is likely to benefit you as well.

If the platysma is loose, a platysmaplasty helps. Our version of interlacing platysmaplasty is called the Neck-Lace. This is the procedure we use most often for the most dramatic result, and appears it would have the most benefit for you.

If the hyoid bone is low, the angle can only be improved to a point.

If there is loose skin, a facelift helps. It doesn't appear you fall into this category.

An experienced facelift surgeon can guide you through the decision making. The right answer will be very apparent when each of the above variables are explained to you. The toughest part of your surgery is not the chin implant but the neck work, hence the recommendation to see a plastic surgeon experienced with facelifts.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Neck profile improvement

Brent Moelleken, MD

Small Anatomic Implant

In my opinion a small anatomic implant is the only thing needed.  Do not get crazy and start going down a slippery slope of rejuvenation long before it is really needed. From what I can see liposuction is not even needed and can have some long term effect. 

Small Anatomic Implant

Neck Lift or Chin Implant to Improve Profile

It's difficult to confirm what #solution is best based on photos alone. It's best to begin by consulting with a surgeon in-person. In some cases your plastic surgeon may give you more than one option to choose from. A neck lift is a general term used for rejuvenating the neckline to create a more youthful attractive appearance. There are various surgical techniques for a neck lift which will be discussed during your consultation. Also, additional procedures may be suggested to complement the neck lift for optimal results.

A neck lift is a general term used for rejuvenating the neckline to create a more youthful attractive appearance. There are various surgical techniques for a neck lift which will be discussed during your consultation. Also, additional procedures may be suggested to complement the neck lift for optimal results.
The factors which are considered to first determine if you are a #candidate for #rejuvenating the neck include:
•Visibility and amount of excess fat below the chin and along the neckline.
•The presence of banding down the front of the #neck.
•The amount of #excess skin and condition of your skin.
•Chin Deficiency.
•Presence of Prominent Digastric Muscles (a.k.a. submandibular gland fullness)

During the examination the chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline.  A weak #chin means there is not adequate chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin #implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. For individuals with signs of aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.
If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend alternatives to improve your concern. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in #neck lift procedures is important to ensure you are receiving the best advice, care, and surgical experience possible.

•Chin Deficiency.

Chin implants can improve your profile

Based on this photograph, you are probably best served with a chin implant alone, and would not get much additional benefit from liposuction or necklifting.

Chin implants can improve your profile

Neck lift or chin implant

It is hard to say what would best suit you from this one photo that doesn't show up too well.  A full exam would be most prudent.

Neck lift or chin implant

Improve profile with neck lift or chin implant

• A neck lift is performed to tighten the Plastyma muscle of the neck, as well as remove fat deposits both above and below this muscle. It is an operation that is also done to remove fat at the jaw line going back toward the ears.
  • A chin implant is used to bring the chin forward when a retrusive chin exists.
  • Schedule a consultation with a few different facial plastic surgeon for more personalized options.

Chin implant and neck liposuction can strengthen the jaw and face

You look young and would not benefit from a neck lift. Based on the limited photo, I would lean toward a chin implant and liposuction of the neck. This can have an excellent result. Speak with a board-certified plastic surgeon for a more specific evaluation. Good luck!

Chin implants improve the submental neck skin laxity

The picture you provide supports the unanimous feeling that a chin implant is the way to go. A lift is unnecessary, a larger surgery, and honestly addresses other issues in the face. The fullness under the jawline can be from skin laxity, fat, or underlying muscle and structural components of the neck. That is why an exam in person helps to differentiate the added value of liposuction.

When you place the chin implant in position, it adds a little tension to the skin of the submentum. That, with or without liposuction, is the dynamic that will sharpen your chin/neck angle. Plus the chin will have a more defined quality from the implant.

All these can be done under local anesthesia, given the right patient. That makes the combination of lipo and implant an excellent value as well. Good luck.