Small separation in my breast augmentation incision. How worried should I be and could this be infected? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation with 800cc implants ( I am large framed ) I am 3 weeks out now. My incisions have been a little sensitive the whole time and I thought they would feel better covered. Nurse said I should be ok to start using those silicone scar stips. After having it on all day I went to the bathroom and felt uncomfortable, I removed the strips and noticed a smelly discharge on one. Should I be worried about infection? I see the doctor Wednesday but should I try to get in sooner?

BA incision 3 weeks post

Thanks for your question.  It appears that you may be having a "spitting suture".  Best is not to cover the wound as the drainage will be confined to under the tape and will lead to the smell that you described.  Contact your surgeons office and inform them of the changes.  Best of luck. 

Small separation in my breast augmentation incision.

Dear Plus size hopeful,
I would definitely have your surgeon take a peek at this, and in the interim time it might be best to use an antibiotic ointment and bandaid rather than silicone gel sheeting. You may have a spitting suture or small dehiscence, and because of the implant we are pretty cautious about letting something like this get worse. Try to get in for a recheck this week just to be sure.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Sheeting/Incision Irritation

It could be too soon to use the Silicone sheeting. I recommend that my patients wait until their incisions are completely healed and closed which may be a couple more weeks for you. I recommend that you keep this clean and cover with gauze which will allow it to breathe. Your Plastic Surgeon will be able to assess and instruct you further.

All the best

Breast Incision opening

Hi Plus Size,

Thanks for your question and photo. It does not seem like a large open area. I would not use the silicone scar strips until the wound is closed. I usually tell my patients to use antibiotic creams as moisture helps wounds closed faster. It is best to see your surgeon as directed. If fevers, chills or redness develop, I would go see them sooner. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@breastaugmentation @docmata #drcarlosmata

Small incision separation after BA

Thank you for your question. I recommend to call and talk to your PS for specific post operative care. This looks benign, but infection sometimes can not be diagnosed with pictures.

Small separation in my breast augmentation incision. How worried should I be and could this be infected?

Hard to tell from a photo.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination and diagnosis..I doubt it is a serious problem

Needs a recheck

Alerting your surgeon and having a recheck is important.
This small problem can become larger, so be safe and give your doc a call.

Thank you for your question!

Three weeks is of course a short amount of time in the total healing process, and you shouldn't over worry yourself. All healing wounds will have an odor. You are right to think a foul discharge could be an infection though - either superficial or deep.
The best thing you can do at this point is to consult with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible and make sure you are not infected while also bringing up any other concerns. It is your discretion whether to try to see the plastic surgeon sooner - though it may be hard to schedule a consultation this close.
If anything, call and ask the nurse which antibiotic cream she recommends or even suggest emailing them a few more photos to give you another personalized opinion.

Jaime Perez MD
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Breast augmentation - wound is separating

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.
  • Yes, I think you should notify your surgeon and try to be seen today.
  • An opening incision and odor after a breast augmentation are not good signs- 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Open wound after BA

Hello thank you for your question and photos.  Your wound seems to have a localized infection of the skin probably because of staphylococcus.   Most of the time this is best treated with antibiotics and wound care.  Never use silicone sheets before you have a completely closed wound.  You should visit your doctor's office for a revision. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD