How soon would I know I damaged my implants?

I am 10 days post op. I wa feeling good this morning and helped my daughter lift her inflatable pool to drain it. I realize this wasn't smart. My PS said I am able to lift up to 30lbs. However I'm now sore and worries I damaged my implants. How soon would I notice symptoms of damage?

soon would I know I damaged my implants?

Thank you for the question. What you are describing is most likely some discomfort from your activities. It is difficult to answer your question without examining you. It is best to discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Post Op Question

Thanks for your question and congrats on getting through surgery.  More than likely you are fine and just might encounter some soreness.  If you do notice acute pain, swelling, redness or warmth contact your surgeon to rule out any issue.  

Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Activity Restrictions

You wouldn't damage the implant itself by overusing muscles but you could cause strain/soreness or in extreme cases, risk damage to the pocket/position. You would know if you had tissue damage/active bleeding because of new bruising, swelling, increased pain and firmness. I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon if you have any of those symptoms, otherwise you are likely fine.

All the best

Breast augmentation

The implants should be fine. The worry is about the tissues that are healing from surgery. You overdid it. You need to work your way up slowly. Talk to your surgeon about this. You can also call the nurse. The nurse can give you some great advice about your doctor's recommendations.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

You can relax, although the lifting may have caused you muscle pain it would not in any way damage your breast implants. The post op restrictions are not to protect the implants, they are extremely durable. The restrictions are to prevent wound complications in the first 2-3 days and then to prevent you from overdoing so you do not prolong your recovery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast implants are very durable

Breast implants are very strong and durable, it would take considerable force directly to the implant to disrupt it.  Immediately after implant surgery even slight twisting and turning can be painful, especially lifting and moving heavy objects.  It is possible that may have damaged or injured your muscles, but the implant should be fine.  Let your plastic surgeon know and you may need an in person examination or maybe a muscle relaxant to help.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

It is doubtful that you injured your implants by lifting your daughter's pool. However the best option is to see your plastic surgeon for an exam and not rely on the Internet advice.