Not sure about the right size for my breast implants?

My doctor wants me to have larger implants than I'm comfortable with. How do I decide? What should I tell him?

How to discuss your implants with your surgeon

This is a great question.  The communication between the surgeon and patient on the size of implants can be difficult for both parties.  As a surgeon I try to best understand the goals and cup size and shape that a patient is after.  Often looking at photos with the patient so that we can both see the appealing size and shape of the examples.  Once I have a good understanding of the goals a patient has, then we can discuss the size and shape of implant required to achieve that goal.  

Remember that the final size of the breast is a combination of the amount of breast tissue you have already and the volume of the implant used.  Sometimes patients get concerned about the volume or size of the implant because it sounds too large based on what their friends or associates have used in their augmentations.  But remember that you can not compare your choice of implants to another patients if you don't have the same size breast prior to augmentation.  

Have a conversation with your surgeon to discuss clearly your goals for size and shape.  Bring in pictures of examples that you really like so you can show your surgeon exactly what you want to look like.  As you choose examples be sure to find examples of patients that have a very similar size and shape of breast as you have now.  Only then can you look at their after photos to get an idea of what you can anticipate.

Once you've been able to express a clear description of your goals for size and shape to your surgeon, then your surgeon can discuss the choice of implant and why that size and shape is chosen for you to achieve the result you desire.  Best wishes!!!

Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

The maximum breast implant size should be based on your current breast width as well as some other soft tissue factors. This does not mean you have to get the maximum size. You should feel comfortable with the implants. It is your body image and goals that need to be addressed. If you feel the implants are too large then communicate this concern to your surgeon. If he is not willing to consider your desires then get a second opinion. I hope you get the results you want!

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Right Size for Implants?

Choosing the right size breast implants is a very personal choice. Do not be confused by cup sizes for bras as these vary tremendously between manufacturers. Be sure to try on implants in a sports bra at your consultation. When in doubt use the larger of the choices that you like. Everyone's idea of proportion is different. This is your personal choice and you will make a good one. This is about you not your doctor.

Breast implant size

They are your breasts, so if you want smaller implants, that should be your decision.  You surgeon can advise you how that size implant would look.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  If you are not comfortable with the size of the implants, then I recommend that you share your concerns with your surgeon and he/she should ultimately listen to your wishes.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Our Patients Choose Their Own Breast Implant Size #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

• At our practice we don't tell our patients which size implant to go with, and we never talk them into a larger implant size.  Our patients decide for themselves, although we do help guide them.
  • We have our patients try on implant sizers with the assistance of our nurse at both the initial consult and again at the pre-op visit.  This is really useful, and by using this method, our revision rate for implant sizing issues is exceedingly low.
  • Occasionally, a patient will choose a very large implant that we know is larger than her base diameter, etc. In these cases we have a frank discussion about what her goals and expectations are to avoid ending up with a look she would be unhappy with. 
  • Definitely discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and ask why he is recommending a larger size implant.  If after that discussion, you still feel uncomfortable with the size/plan, seek a second opinion. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your question.  Breast implant size should be based on the base width of your breast which her surgeon should have measured.  It is best to have an implant of the same base with as your breast base width or smaller but not larger.  In my experience if you feel that V Dr. is recommending too large and implant respective feelings and explained to the surgeon that she do not want an implant that large. In addition you can do a Rice test at home which is described in the link below on breast implant sizing:

Deciding on the implant size.

First, you should choose a surgeon who gives value to safety, and who does not rush you. This means that they shouldn’t necessarily agree to everything you say because you wouldn’t know what is best for you, so it the job of us surgeons to guide you to make decision that will minimize complications and allow you to have beautiful breasts.

If you have already verified their skills, education, and board-certification, and confident in their skill in the procedure and looks you desire, then you should trust their judgment.

It is important for you to realize that board-certified surgeons will assist you in choosing an implant that is more tailored to your breast characteristics in order to provide natural looking breasts that are optimally filled.

Surgeons use what is called tissue-based planning. The planning takes into account the effects of implants on tissues over time, risks of excessive stretch, excessive thinning, visible or palpable implant edges, visible traction rippling, ptosis (Sagging), and breast tissue wasting.

To determine the implant size, breast measurements must be made: 1) Base Width of the existing breast tissue, 2) breast skin stretch, and 3) Nipple-to-Inframammary Fold distance. The combination of these measurements will help determine tissue coverage and the required implant volume to optimally fill the breasts. If your breasts require more volume than you have chosen, then you will not achieve the best results as it can result in the “rock in the sock” appearance.

All this being said, share all your motivations for surgery, expectations and goals with complete honesty to avoid miscommunication and post-operative concerns/regrets. Be as specific as you can about what you like regarding your breasts and what you don’t like. If you trust your surgeon and their judgment and the decision-making method used to choose the implant size, then you should be in good hands.

Hope this helps

Martin Jugenburg, MD

#breastimplants #choosingimplantsize

Breast implants should be chosen based on your specific breast measurements and the "look" you desire after surgery. I usually describe this "look" as a more natural breast vs  degrees of an "implanted" look which is a fuller, rounder upper pole.

Your surgeon should be choosing implants based on your specific breast measurements. For example, a 350cc implant would be large for a small breast base, 5'2 woman, but small for a large breast base, 5'8" women. 

I suggest you show photos of the breast look you want to your surgeon. Ask to see post operative photos of patients with your approximate body type and different implant sizes.

Since you have not posted your specific photos, it is impossible to tell if your comment of "larger implants than I am comfortable with" is based on. Are you concerned with the final "look" you desire or a concern over specific implant size.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

First of all, you should never do something you are not comfortable with. If you have shown the surgeon photos of your wish look and the doctor has taken the appropriate measurements of your chest, then I would hope his/her experience and artistry would lead to choosing the correct implant to meet your goals. Perhaps you should seek out another 1 or 2 consults to get a consensus of what is best for your implant size and shape.