Lip implants or fillers for my lips?

I know that fillers are temporary, but I'm worried about an implant making scarring or puckering or not looking natural. Can you give me any advice?

Permalip Lip Implants VS Filler

Hi, Thank you.  Lip fillers is a temporary solution and a good starting point. It typically lasts about 4 - 6 months and only takes roughly 15 minutes to perform. Lip filler is injected into your lips and the surgeon will massage it to create the ideal shape for your lips. We use a product called Juvederm. You will have a little bit of swelling afterwards but that goes down within a couple of days. As it is only temporary it can became quite costly, so if you would like a permanent solution we offer a treatment called 'Permalip'. They are revolutionary lip impacts in different sizes and designed to look and feel natural yet they would create the result I think you are after. Performed under local anaesthetic a small incision is made in the corner of your mouth and your desired sized implant is then slotted in. The implant will not impair lip movement and if you wish to go larger or go back to your original appearance then the implants can be simply removed. I hope you find the treatment that is right for you and please remember to find a board certified surgeon.. Good luck!

Filler vs Implant

If you like the look of filler but are nervous about the idea of scaring from an implant you may consider undergoing a fat transfer procedure. Your surgeon will harvest your own fat and transfer it to the desired area. Typically about 60% of the fat survives, so your surgeon may transfer more to compensate. Due to the fact that it's your own body fat it provides a very natural result. I always recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you.

John Allan Ness, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lip implants or fillers for my lips?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced and naturally attractive. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.  

Hope this helps.

Be sure to see before and afters.

The problem with lips is that you know, right now, exactly what they should look like. If the implant doesn't augment evenly across the lip, or if the skin bunches even a little bit, you'll notice it right away and it'll be irritating. See before and afters. If the doctor has the skill to get a safe implant in position well, it can be a reasonable option.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers create more scar than an implant

I know that it may sound a bit counterintuitive but lip injections create much more scarring then a lip implant does. The lip implant is silicone and so it is non-reactive. Although the artificial fillers are minimally reactive, they do create some scar in the lip.  Lip injections also need to be repeated about every three or four months. The lip implant is permanent so there is much less trama. 

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon