Getting medical records?

I called my PS office this morning and asked for copies of my records. I had an appointment that afternoon for a procedure. When I checked out I asked for my records and they said that the Dr would have to look over them first before they could give them to me. I have had several complications so I wanted a second opinion. Now I am very suspicious that they wouldn't release them to me. Is this common practice ?

Problems obtaining medical records

Thank you for your email. I am sorry you are having complications. Your medical records belong to you and should be made available to you timely. Not commonly, but at times I do review records before they are sent to a patient to makes sure my staff included any photos (which are in another system) and make sure everything is complete and in chronological order. I never fault a patient seeking a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of ASPS and ASAPS. If you are having complications but you are confident in your surgeon and your surgeon is caring for you, then he or she may be your best option, not another surgeon. Your original surgeon has been following you, know the complication and should be wanting to assist in getting you through the complication. All of us have complications and if someone says they don’t, they are not not telling you the truth. If you have lost confidence in your surgeon and don’t think he/she is in control of the situation, you should seek another opinion. Best of luck and I hope you recover quickly.

Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. Your surgeon may be reviewing your records to ensure that the records are accurate. You are right in that you are the owner of the record. You should feel free to consult with another board certified facial plastic surgeon to learn more about your procedure and your options for a revision to the complications.  Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medical records

I am sorry that you are having issues about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.
Medical records do belong to the patients. In my practice patients have 100 % access to them. Sometimes I over see the records to make sure all the information is deliver in an orderly fashion, so that the patient and other physicians understand the chronological series of events around a case.Wishing you the best in your journey