How long to wear a bra 24/7?

I am almost 1 month post op. My PS approves of the bra I am wearing. I thought I was supposed to wear a bra 24/7 for a few months, I called the office for a different question and his nurse told me I could go braless at night. After looking at different people's experiences I have seen they wear a bra 24/7 to make the breast shape. So I'm not sure if I should be wearing my bra 24/7 or if it is ok to not wear one at night-will my breast not have a good shape if I go without a bra at night. Thanks

Bra usage at night

I think you will get a lot of varying opinions on this question.  I prefer that my patients wear a bra at night to keep the breast mound in the proper position during the first 2-3 months after surgery, so that the scar connections can form in the right configuration and keep as good a shape as possible.  Now, I don't have a lot of science to support that, but I have some patients who had a better outcome than others, and they wore their bras at night.  It certainly can't hurt, but can only be slightly uncomfortable for you, but it's worth it! :)

Breast lift recovery

The answer to your question will vary based on the surgeon.  The advice you should follow is that given by your surgeon as he/she is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you are progressing through your recovery.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD

How long to wear a bra 24/7 after breast surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast lifting procedure.  There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras; best to clarify with your plastic surgeon.

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. 

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery.  This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with longterm.

How long do I have to use a surgical bra?

Hello dear, thanks for your question. 

How long I have to wear my post-surgical bra after a Breast surgery?

I always recommend my patients to wear their prost-surgical bra for at least 3 months from surgery day.

Then you can change to an sports bra and continue using it for at least 6 months from surgery. It is a process and we have to give support and protection to our breasts.

Compression is good for our breasts after a this procedure, we have to protect our post-surgical results and we will have a great surgery outgoing!! 

But I recommend to ask to your PS, because each surgeon has their own politics.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD