How many breast lifts should a doctor do in a year for me to feel s/he's qualified?

My MD is board certified and since I'm a DD he feels a lift is all that is needed, but he only did 4 lifts last year and all of the nipples in the pictures appear to be facing slightly downward. Also, how common is it to reposition tissue to the upper part of the breast in a lift?

Qualified Doctor

Thank you for the question.  Though the a doctor's experience is very important, it also important to take a look at the quality of their work.  It would be best to seek out opinions from different board-certified plastic surgeons and pick which one you are most comfortable with.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Get another opinion

I do think it's important that a surgeon have a lot of experience in the procedure that you're seeking, but my bigger concern in your case is that you do not seem to like his breast lift results. So, if I were you, I would seek a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) whose breast work you do like. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

How Many Procedures Has This Doctor Done?

You are asking a very good question.  I absolutely agree that the number of times a doctor performed a given procedure matters, but so does the quality of their work.  It is very unfortunate that a few doctors do a LOT of one type of operation - and yet I don't like ANY of their results!  Sometimes mass production isn't the way to go.  That said, too few is no good either.  Have a look at their before and after photos and see if you can speak to one of their previous patients.
Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD

Experience matters

Interesting question.  Breast lift is a pretty commonly done procedure and if a surgeon is doing only 4 a year it makes me wonder how busy his practice is or if he is focused on another aspect of surgery.  There is a significant amount of art and judgement used while performing a breast lift.  The more that you do, the better your results become, in general.  I you are already concerned about the results that he is achieving and about the relatively few surgeries that he is doing, then you should seek another opinion.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the good question. Personally, I think that experience DOES matter greatly when it comes to breast lifting surgery. You will feel most comfortable selecting a board-certified plastic surgeon who can show you many (hopefully greater than 100 examples of outcomes that you would be happy to achieve).  Best wishes.

Breast lift

Just because a surgeon does 300 a year of one operation ( which is extremely rare) doesn't mean he does it better than the guy who does 1.  Look at the work.

How many #breastlift surgeries does it take to be a qualified #plasticsurgeon

Hi Chaik, Thanks for sharing your excellent question about how many breast lift surgeries should a plastic surgeon perform to be considered qualified.  I think what you may be referring to is a surgeon's experience and credentials. The gold standard organizations a plastic surgeon should be a member of include:
*certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- Gold star symbol
*member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- teal circle symbol
*member of the ASAPS (American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) -- Queen Nefertiti symbol
In addition to your board certified plastic surgeon being a member of these groups, it's also viewed very positively if your surgeon is on faculty at teaching institutions for plastic surgery.  Things like reviews online can be very helpful, along with awards for compassion and excellence in the field. Many plastic surgeons with experience perform several hundred breast and body procedures during the year.  I would encourage you to ask if it's possible to speak with a former patient if you think that will help with peace of mind.  I hope this is helpful.
Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

I appreciate your question.
I perform about 300-400 surgeries a year mainly breast and body.
Nipple position may change after surgery. 
Its better to be conservative and have to lift the nipple in second stage then have it too high and risk poor positioning or necrosis
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast lift question

Thank you for your question. There is no correct answer your question.  One surgeon may do only a few breast lifts a year and have outstanding results while another may do many breast lifts and have lesser results.  On the other hand one would hope that a surgeon's  technique and results improve with more cases. I think that a surgeon's before-and-after pictures are very helpful in judging if they can achieve the results you desire. There are techniques that can reposition breast tissue  during a breast lift. Whether or not they are utilized depends on the individual case. Good luck.

Breast lift experience

In my opinion, if you are board certified, you would have done enough to be proficient in a procedure. The most important question is the technique used and the final shape and scar. You are describing a reduction with an anchor scar. That's the most common procedure taught in residency and done by surgeons. Very experienced plastic surgeons do vertical scar or lollipop scar breast reductions. Those scars are minimal without the horizontal large scar. The breast shape us also fuller in top with a rounder breast with less width. I have been doing v reductions as described here for over 22 years with great results. I hope this helps. 

Luis A. Vinas, MD