Belly button creation - TT - most natural technique?

In your opinion what is the best way to create the new belly button in a tummy tuck. Spoke to several surgeons some do an oval incision and some do an inverted u. What has the best most predictable results? I would like a slightly hooded, natural looking belly button with very little scar showing....if possible.

Understandably, the appearance of the umbilicus is of great importance to many patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery; after all, it may be the only telltale sign of having undergone the tummy tuck surgery when the patient is wearing a swimming suit or undergarments. The umbilicus should be positioned carefully; if it is too high or too low, it may be a sign of tummy tuck surgery. Ifit is too round or slit like it may also look "surgical". Most patients prefer a relatively small and oval-shaped umbilicus. I hope this helps.

Tummy Tuck - Belly Button

Every board - certified plastic surgeon does things a little differently with regards to the belly button.  But this is an area of concern for many patients.  Some techniques can help minimize scarring and avoid the operated- on look.  I suggest you view before and after photographs with your surgeon and see how you like his or her results. 

George Lawson III, MD, FACS
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Techniques for neoumbilical formation vary

Making a new belly button is one of the finishing touches in a TT. It should be perfectly positioned at the junction of a vertical line connecting the notch between the collar bones and the midline of the pubis and a horizontal limb connecting the top of the hip bones. I've generally altered the shape according to the physical findings:   Higher BMI patients with thick abdominal flaps and a lot of redundant skin, generally get an inverted U pattern.  Lower BMI patients with poor quality abdominal skin (many stretch marks and relatively little skin) may end up with a shallow oval belly button, because of the high tension. 

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Techniques for navel varies between surgeons

Hello, you made a very important question because there several techniques for suturing the navel to the abdominal skin, some with good and other with no so good results. In my opinion with one that I have had better results is one called the Avelar technique, its done by doing a cross in the abdominal wall, and the suture line end inside at the bottom so its not visible. The tummy tuck surgery is a procedure that has a duration of 3 or 4 hours, and a recuperation time of 4 weeks, it has a cost that varies from US$3,500-4,000.

Regards, Dr. Kemil Issa

Kemil Issa, MD

Belly button creation

Hi Chomps.  That is a great question.  I find that most of my patients prefer an oval incision of some type.  An inverted U is usually also an oval incision that saves a flap from the 6'Oclock portion and places it into the umbilicus to try and hide the scar better.  I often use a small flap at the 6 oclock postion to break up the scar there.  It might be a V or a U, but the "cutout" for the umbilicus is an oval.  Another key point is to keep the umbilical stalk short so that the scar is hidden more in the depths.  Having said this, in 25 years of performing abdominoplasty I find that there is still a great variation in how patients heal.  Some patients form thicker scars and some patients form great scars. I usually show my patients photos of a variety of scar healing and tell them honestly that I can't predict.  It also helps for my patients to limit their activity for the first 6 weeks to prevent any stress on the healing of the umbilicus. So speak with your board certified plastic surgeon, ask them what they have found to be the best and ask to see some photos of good (and bad) scars.  Typically though even the "bad" scars around the umbilicus are not as troubling to patients from a casual distance on the beach.

Jonathan Hall, MD