What can be done to address excess skin the place typically known to be "bra fat?"

I've lost 120 pounds and would like to have a "Mommy Makeover" with possible BA. I have lots of excess skin that hangs over my bra where women typically refer to it as "bra fat". I worked with a trainer several months, and we both believe this area on me just to be excess skin. What can be done? I'd like to see before/after pics, but don't know what procedure to reference on this site for pictures. Also, would it be possible to do this at the same time as a "Mommy Makeover"? Thank you.

Possible Mommy Makeover with Augmentation Mastopexy

A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.

In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. 
Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Bra Fat

Congratulations on losing so much weight and working to keep it off!Unfortunately, your trainer is right that losing a significant amount of weight can result in excess skin and pockets of fatty tissue that won’t go away on their own.I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon in order to discuss all of your aesthetic goals.He or she should be able to work with you to help you understand the different types of procedures that may be appropriate, show you relevant “before and after” pictures, and develop a comprehensive plan to address excess skin and fat.

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Back fat and excess skin

Thank you for your question.The “bra fat” area can be treated in a few different ways.One is with liposuction and this is done if the skin has good tone and elasticity.The other option is to have excess skin and fat in the area surgically excised and that is called an upper butt lift.This procedure is more extensive, but it does remove the excess skin and fat and is helpful is situations where people have lost a lot of weight.I hope this helps.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Mommy Makeover - "Bra Fat" Treatment?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss. This is a common problem in patients who have lost a significant amount of weight. I commonly excise this with a horizontal incision extending onto the back. I recommend having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience treating massive weight loss patients. Hope this helps and good luck.

Excess skin back

Thanks for your question.  The only way to get rid of excess skin is through surgical remove.  For the back area, the scars can be hidden by your bra.  Hope this helps…best of luck!

Extra skin around back

What you are describing is fairly common in patients who have lost as much weight as you have. The skin will need to be removed leaving either a vertical scar along your side or else a horizontal one along your back. My best advise would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience in body contouring post weight loss to discuss your options. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Excess skin anywhere on the body can only be ameliorated by excision.

It sounds as though you have a surplus of skin in the upper back area. If this is indeed the case the only treatment a surgical removal. The scar can be position so that it would be covered by a bra or bathing suit.

Bra line tissue

The excess tissue that you are likely referring to along the lateral chest wall and upper back is common after massive weight loss. Removing this skin can be done by itself and it is often referred to as a flankplasty if the skin is removed in a pattern that leaves a vertical scar along the side of the chest. It can also be removed in a pattern that leaves a horizontal scar along the upper back and is then referred to as a bra line back lift.  It is often removed in conjunction with an upper arm lift and is sometimes referred to as an extended brachioplasty. And the bra line back lift is often combined with a breast lift procedure or mastopexy.

Combining procedures is possible, but there are limitations for most surgeons. I prefer to limit elective surgeries to about 5 hours and try to minimize the areas that will be healing to help optimize the healing and recovery process. You will need to discuss your specific goals with your plastic surgeon to come up with the best operative plan and sequence that will benefit you the most.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Massive weight loss - surgery for bra fat

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Congratulations on your major weight loss - a great achievement.
  • Usually the excess skin after weight loss in the chest area needs with an extended breast lift, or a J-lift or a back lift - or a combination of these.
  • It depends on where the loose skin lies and how much of it there is
  • You may also need a lower body lift, not a tummy tuck.
  • A lower back lift can be done with an upper body lift and/or breast surgery, if surgery can be done in less than 6 hours, total. 
  • It sounds as though a consultation is your next best step to see what should be done and if it can be done all at one time.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

What can be done to address excess skin under the bra line?

Since you have lost  appx.  120 lbs. I would assume that you are now left with  a large roll of loose skin  under your bra line. This  could be very successfully corrected  with  a bra line back lift  which would leave you with a scar hidden in your bra line and a smooth  back.

Sumanth Pagadala, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon