How accurate are rice sizers compared to actual sizing implants?

I see my PS in 1 week for a consult. I attempted to make my own rice sizers at home to go in with an idea of what I want. My husband is wanting me at 400+ CC but I tried them and on my small frame it looked horrible and I felt overly self conscious. I felt very comfortable at the 350-355 CC of rice sizers range! I will definitely go by how I feel and not what my husband wants.

Rice sizers can give you a rough idea of sizing but they're not usually the most accurate. Usually your plastic surgeon will have sizers for you to try on in the office, which will give you a better idea of sizing. Keep in mind when trying on sizers, a 400cc implant will look smaller when it is actually inserted, depending on placement of the implant (submuscular vs subglandular). If you like the look of the 350 cc then it's probably suggested you go with the 400cc, as you will lose approximately 50cc once they are inserted, especially if they are placed submuscular.

Sizing...Many options...None is perfect

The choice of implant size/volume is a decision which is best made in concert with your board certified plastic surgeons. There are a number of factors which play into the decision including patient desire and chest measurements. Ultimately, your surgeon, based upon his/her exam will be able to guide a prospective patient toward reasonable options.

There are a number of tools available to help a patient make decisions with range offered by their surgeon including sizers, goal photos and 3D imaging. However, it is important to realize that these are "guides" and not "guarantees." They are meant to offer a patient a reasonable estimate on which to make decisions.

3D imaging has become an effective tool for discussing options for patients and narrowing down choices. However, it is important to remember that the imaging is only a simulation. There is no substitute for the experience of a board certified plastic surgeon. 

It is vitally important to spend time discussing the results of your imaging consultation with your surgeon. As this will help clarify your goals/expectations and guide your surgeon in adjusting those expectations as needed.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

How accurate are rice sizers?

Although useful as rough guidelines and as communication tools, all the modalities currently used to predict what breast implant size/profile will best achieve a patient's goals with breast augmentation are NOT very accurate, in my opinion. The use of the rice test, sizers placed beneath a patient's bra, goal pictures, computer imaging technology… are all useful, but not necessarily as accurate as one would hope.

In my opinion, nothing will replace careful verbal preoperative communication with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror along with the use of as many "communication" tools” listed above.

In my practice, I use all of the above modalities and then use intraoperative temporary sizers to help determine the best breast implant size/profile to achieve a patient's specific goals as closely as possible. For this reason, I think it is helpful to have the entire range of breast implant sizes/profiles available in the upper room.

Achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding to the operating room is also an important part of the preoperative communication process. Patients should be aware that the results of their breast augmentation will not necessarily match exactly what they are visualizing with anyone of the above-mentioned communication tools.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the planned procedure.